1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PSU/Freeh Report

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

paterno's legacy is as an aider and abettor to serial child molestation. He's was a an over compensated football coach with power beyond his abilities, over indulged and in hindsight more concerned about other peoples perception of who he was then he was concerned about innocent children. It turns out JoePa was just another greedy football coach, if you could help him he loved you. If you couldn't help him he couldn't care less.

His legacy? A dozen raped children or more.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think a fascinating feature would be a compare/contrast to actual good things these men have done in a timeline fashion along side the documented abuses of Sandusky.

For example (I am making this up)...

June 24, 2002, Paterno's foundation gives $300,000 to a local woman's shelter for abused spouses. June 25th, 2002, Victim #6 travels with Sandusky to New York City, with Sandusky as the guardian in charge. They go to a Yankee game with former Penn State player and stay at the Yada Yada Hotel on Fifth Avenue, where Sandusky abuses the child after breakfast.

June 27th, 2002, shelter uses funds to improve security on entrance and purchase a safe house on...

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It seems the news fascination for this story is moving on.

When I checked my Yahoo e-mail a few minutes ago this morning, the story wasn't in its top five.

I guess that's as good a barometer these days as anything.

Seems like some people, including me, want to believe that Sandusky knew something that kept him from going to jail. Because we don't want to believe that a school would cover for a child rapist on campus to protect the football team.

Reading Sarah Ganim's rather excellent analysis yesterday, it noted that one of the big problems at Penn State was the HR office. And it was interesting to see how about a dozen things came together for Sandusky like how the janitors decided collectively not to report him when some saw him blowing a kid in the shower in 2000. The janitors all thought they'd get fired.

That would also seem to imply that some more digging would show that people did get fired. And if that's true, then shutting the football team down will be the least of Penn State's worries.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Sadly, this isn't all that unusual. Going to HR or the corporate ombudsman with an issue often proves to be the fast track to unemployment or, at best, severely stunted career growth.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Reading this report makes you really wonder what if Sandusky had anything on Paterno.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

If anything, probably the usual dirt one would have on a big-time program. He had everything on Paterno once the coverup began.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Instead of locking threads, why not just
    Instead of locking threads, why not lock posters? Particularly ones who use language not sanctioned in polite society, and posters who attack other posters, instead of other posts -- like the rules state?

Clean up the trouble-causers and you'll get rid of the trouble.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm off, but I wish JoePa was alive for all this. He definitely is the one who got off easily, not having to answer for his actions/inactions.

Given how poorly I think his family has come off, insisting he didn't know Sandusky was a pedophile in the face of proof he was told exactly that more than once, I can only imagine how pathetic JoePa would look in his rationalization.

9. Boom_70

Does this mean that you fuck live deer?

10. Boom_70

The more that comes out I can't help but think of JP playing the role of the Colonel James in Boogey Nights.

Colonel James: I'm looking forward to seeing you in action. Jack says you've got a great big cock.
    Eddie Adams: Well, I don't know, I guess so.
    Colonel James: May I see it?
    Eddie Adams: Really?
    Colonel James: Please!
    [stares as Eddie lowers his shorts]
    Colonel James: Thank you, Eddie!
    Eddie Adams: No problem.

11. Yep...
    He got off easy. He died thinking his legacy was intact. His family will be ones humiliated for his shortcomings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.