1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PSU/Freeh Report

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

In the appendix it has the 1999 typed letter from Sandusky to Tim Curley when Sandusky was told he wouldn't be the next head coach.

The first paragraph says, "Foremost, I am concerned about my mental health, the financial security of my family and mother and the well-being of the Second Mile."

This was a severely messed-up human being. He even came out and hinted to Curley he was a messed-up human being. And all they did was lightly shove him out the door while worrying about opening "Pandora's Box."

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But Joe didn't think it was a football scandal or a university scandal. Therefore, it didn't exist.

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

If Paterno knew in 1998, there's absolutely no defense for him anywhere.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Is it too great of a leap to assume Paterno's lavish gifting to the academic side were an attempt to buy his conscience back? And why do I think the shitstorm's just begun?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sorry, but it wasn't a guess after reading the grand jury report. The post wasn't meant specifically for you, either.

BTW, I also "guessed" right when I and many others posted Herman Cain didn't stand a chance.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If 1998 was the first time he became aware of this, no. He was already a pretty heavy fund-raiser for the place by then.

McQueary's rise through the staff ranks after 2001 certainly should be viewed in a different light however.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I can't get past the part of the report about 1998. So many boys could have been protected.

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Exactly.

And it proves that the whole "Paterno was confused" angle on McQueary coming to him in 2001 is utter bullshit.

Paterno was worried about covering up.

9. Armchair_QB

Maybe, maybe not. Even if PSU cooperates it's possible Sandusky still skates at that point.

2001 however, he's done.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder now how many other schools knew, that chose not to hire Sandusky after he left Penn St. I bet their were some whispers from Joe when he was approached by other schools inquiring about Sandusky.

11. Armchair_QB

If Sandusky was investigated there would have been a public record. That would have been enough to scare people off.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Going to need a second edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Paterno-Joe-Posnanski/dp/1451657498?tag=gmgamzn-20

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.