1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ps3 vs. xbox 360 -- one year in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jan 7, 2008.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

so, when i get my new tv, i'm thinking about picking up a next-gen console as well...

i know we've had a similar discussion, but now with a year with both, there may be some new ideas

which one should i get?

here's me -- i have a wii, will have a new hd tv, will use the new console mainly for ncaa 200X, gta iv and rock band -- three things that aren't available on the wii

here are my thoughts

ps3 -- the blu-ray, especially with warner's recent announcement that they're going to do blu ray only, which seems sony may be winning the dvd war. we'll see.
    better graphics?
    free online
    wireless rockband

xbox -- it's microsoft, and boy do i hate microsoft (not that sony's much better...)
    online play seems more developed and more populated (although my two best friends don't have next gen, either)

it doesn't seem like there are too many exclusives. would love to hear from anyone with experience in both.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Have neither, but am a regular reader of Electronic Gaming Monthly (not sure if that's like staying at a Holiday Inn Express or not). If you're getting a next-gen for games, go for the 360. More games, better games, and there aren't likely to be a lot of top-notch third-party exclusives anymore because it's getting expensive as hell to develop games. The 360 also has, as you said, a better online service. XBox Live is solid for multiplayer stuff and has tons of cheap downloads both available and in development.

If you're getting it to double as a DVD player, you probably want to go for the PS3. Same deal with the third-party games (as far as I know, GTA IV is coming out on both systems), but the packed-in blu-ray player almost makes the $500 or $600, whatever it is now, worth it.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The difference in graphics is negligible. I wouldn't let that have a big impact on your decision.

The XBOX live community is much bigger, but that might only be because its been around longer. I do know that the updates and downloads you can get from XBOX beat the pants off PS3. While it may be free, it is definitely lacking. If you plan on using the online feature a lot, that should have a big impact.

If you really want a HD DVD player, wait for which one comes out on top and get that one. Don't get PS3 for it. These consoles only have so many uses in them before they go bad. I used my PS2 as my only DVD player and it crapped it real quick. While it is nice to have the capability, you decision should be made on the consoles gaming capabilities.

While there are only a few exclusives, I think XBOX has the market cornered in the games category: Gears of War, Halo 3 and some games expected to come out in the next year are much more intriguing than the exclusives PS3 has.

Summary: PS3 is probably the more advanced console technology-wise, but XBOX, IMHO, is the better console overall.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the blu ray for movies would be a consideration...

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Think you got a bum PS2 ... I've had mine since about a year after they came out and have no problems even though it's my primary DVD player. In fact, the reason it's my primary is that my old DVD player wasn't as good (it sometimes had trouble reading discs my PS2 played easily).

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It absolutely should be, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. These consoles are gaming devices first, DVD players second.

Not to mention, right now it feels like picking between VHS and BetaMax. Who knows which will still be here in a year or so? What if BluRay falls off (even though it seems unlikely)? The PS3 is back to being just another next-gen gaming console. Which gaming console is best should be 80% of your decision, if not more.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't forget BioShock. If/when I buy a 360 that'll be the first game I buy.

And I agree with bigpern, it sounds like you got a defective PS2. I've had my PS2 since 2003, used it mostly for games but also as my only DVD player, and have never had a problem with it. Granted, I'm not a hardcore movie buff, but it doesn't seem like something that would nuke the system prematurely.

8. BioShock is a great, great game. I'm going through it right now and it's fun, with a lot to explore without getting too far off the path. Anyway here is my opinion on the next-gen war.

I may be a little bias because I do own a 360, but I think hands down it has the best games. Halo 3, Gears of War, BioShock, the soon to be released Ninja Gaiden (sp), Elder Scrolls if you like RPG, and a bunch of others. PS3 hasn't had the blow me away exclusive yet, though that will change with Metal Gear Solid.

In terms of online, yes PS3 is free, but Live is well-designed, has great depth and can be a blast when you play with the right people.

As far as the technology, yeah PS3 is impressive, but I'm not about to start paying nearly $30 for a DVD, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. And I have an HDTV.

I just think the 360 is the better bang for the buck. Yeah, it's had its problems, but it is still a great system with great games. And I've got a Wii as well, which is just at a different level than the other two just because of the way you play it.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Bioshock is fantastic. Can't recommend that enough.

There are other exclusives for the 360 besides Bioshock. Along with Gears of War & Halo 3, Mass Effect is one that will suck hours away from your life. Not to mention the 360-exclusive content coming for GTA IV.

Xbox Live is so much more than playing games online. Downloading movies & TV shows (SD & HD) to start.

Based on the news this week, I'm in the market for a Blu Ray player. I know it won't be a PS3 though. My 360 is all the gaming I can handle & then some. My PS2 still works, so there's no need for backwards compatibility.

10. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

So it looks like I may go pick up an XBox 360 tomorrow. I'm doing some research and I'm going to get the $350 system, Call of Duty 4 and Tiger Woods 2008 as my first two games. (I'll wait for Aug. for Madden 09, and I want to rent NBA 2k8 before purchase).

I decided on XBox 360 for the online play. Everyone who has one says this is pretty fun and addictive.

My question is for the online play... I want to bring my wireless router downstairs to my HDTV where said TV is plugged in near the family room's cable outlet. My question is I have Dish Network using that outlet. Do I need to have the cable company come by and splice that outlet so I can have connections for my Dish Network and cable modem?

11. If you are using a wireless connection, why not just buy the wireless card for the 360?

Draft saved Draft deleted