1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PS3: Too expensive?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by murciélago, May 16, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I love my 360.
    But then again, I got it as a graduation present, so I didn't really have to worry about the money ;D

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'm a child who happens to hold down a job, so I can afford one too. Funny, this child's income actually allows me to pay my bills AND purchase the occasional game too.

3. I'd buy a PS3 for about 400, but I won't go higher than that.
    The fact they thought it would sell at this price is ridiculous. I don't know ANYONE who has one.
    I do know a handful of people with a Wii or an XBox.
    I'm glad Sony is taking a beating. They deserve it for their arrogance.
    Also, what are they going to do when HD-DVD wins the battle against Blu Ray? Half of their selling point for the machine will be gone.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

There a couple differences between the XBox and PS3 which, if you want everything both can offer, means you'll end up paying the same for either system with all the bells and whistles. One's got Wifi built in, they come with different-size hard drives, one has HDMI output while the other doesn't (unless you go for the new, more expensive XBox Elite), and it goes on.

I just traded in my PS2 stuff for a Wii yesterday and am completely hooked. Thanks to wireless Internet in my home and the free Opera browser the Wii has available for download, I can also check out SportsJournalists.com when I'm not gaming. Freaking incredible.

As a side benefit I don't have to worry whether I purchased the next Betamax because Nintendo hasn't bothered to venture into the high-def DVD market with the Wii. That's your difference in price between the next-gen systems currently available.

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

The 360 doesn't force anyone into buying the next Betamax either. The HD-DVD drive is an option that isn't necessary to play games.

6. Sony is taking a beating because the price for their system is under the cost of what it takes to make the system. They went into this knowing they would take a loss.

Also, Blu Ray isn't going to lose to HD DVD. Right now, it's a blowout and it's a blowout in the other direction.

I have been debating between getting a PS3 and a 360 Elite. Right now, I don't think I'd play enough to justify the cost of either one. But I wouldn't mind having a Blu Ray.

7. I remember back in the day when it was kind of the "it" thing to own an Xbox and a PS2. I owned both, Xbox first and then the PS2, and you know what, the Sony machine just sat there. I mainly played the PS2 to for the GTA games, as a lot of people did. And as time evolved, I became a loyal Xbox/360 user mainly because it was/is viewed as the underdog.

The 360 is a great machine, plain and simple. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, but I play it enough to justify the money I spent on it. The only people who are buying the PS3 are the real Sony loyalists and hardcore gamers. I think the Xbox is a great machine for the hardcore and more than casual gamer like myself and I think it's part of the reason why it's been successful. As for the Wii, who knew that was going to happen. But the only way that thing stays successful is if they continue to come out with innovative games that take full advantage of the sensor remote. And from what I hear, that's been lagging.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What's the fun in THAT?

I can't justify that cost for a video game system. For all the advancements in video games, none of them have ever been able to replicate the wonder of seeing two pixillated squares throw down on the old Atari. For me, anyway.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I love my Atari 2600.

10. 360 > PS3.

I know a lot of gamers. None of them own a PS3. I don't see the reason.

Blu-Ray? Bleh. I don't even have an HDTV set yet.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Whatever's good enough for Morgan Webb is good enough for me.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, I'm considering one because of all the PS2 games I've collected over the years.

If I go Xbox, then I'll have to get a PS2 as well to keep playing my old games.

Draft saved Draft deleted