1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pryor, Oklahoma sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BujuBanton, Jan 16, 2009.

1. True Son

True Son New Member

So, at the risk of sounding stupid, what's wrong with CNHI?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

As a person saved from that madness, let me say...

EVERYTHING!

4. True Son

True Son New Member

Can someone give me an actual answer. Seriously.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Go to the Journalism Topics forum, enter CNHI into the search box and see for yourself.

6. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

When I was a summer intern at a Tribue Co. paper, one of the copy editors told me a story about a CNHI shop in Jersey that a former employee had worked at.

According to him, to save costs, CNHI put monthly quotas on tissues and toilet paper. They continued to scale back the quotas until, one month, the shop ran out of toilet paper two weeks in --- and employees had to bring in their own.

Outside of that, I hear that the low pay, lack of raises, continuous cutting, no overtime, having virtually no travel budget or part-timer budget and, basically, devoting yourself to a product/company that as no sense of quality or shame ... it gets to people.

Show me a CNHI sports editor in a one-man shop who's been there at least three years AND is happy, and I'll show you a polka-dotted unicorn.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Let's just say my first job in the biz was at a CNHI shop and started at $8 an hour.
    Then my wife got fired and they decided to give me a raise to help our income (she was an LPN making 13.50 an hour easy).
    They bumped me to $9 and they made it sound generous.
    I worked 12-14 hour days because if I didn't come in at 8 a.m. everyone around the office made a fuss about how I didn't work enough for the money I made and I didn't deserve to be there if I wasn't there to answer my phone calls. I was the last one out too, usually at 1 a.m. due to late local games and having to write, photo and layout the sports daily.
    Also, toward the end there was a big fight that you had to choose one, you could either take the hour you drove to an event as payment or you could claim the mileage, not either. In my eyes, if I'm driving somewhere it's on the company dime all the way time and miles.
    I wasn't allowed to claim overtime, though I worked it. They called me a salaried position and because of that I was on a set salary.

In their defense, I was young and stupid. After I left there I have had two great jobs where I feel appreciated and compensated to what I feel I am worth.

I will never return to that chain, unless I am outcast to the desert and need a job so I can buy a bottle of urine to drink.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And I had my small Oklahoma towns confused.

Carry on.

9. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

All BS aside, does anyone know about Pryor? Is it a decent town and how are the schools sports-wise? Is that side of tulsa decent? And yes I know I'm hired and CNHI sucks.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Not much there. From what I know of it, it's a typical small town, so if you don't mind that, knock yourself out. I'm not sure I understand your question about Tulsa, but Pryor is not a suburb of Tulsa, if that's what you thought. It's probably a good 45 minutes from the city.

I recall Pryor High School having decent wrestling over the years, but that's all I'm really familiar with.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Pryor competes in Class 5A in Oklahoma. Sounds great, but they'd be a middling 3A school in Texas based on their enrollment.

Draft saved Draft deleted