1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proud Dad Moment. Son starts dating.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, May 8, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I always felt a little sorry for some of the jackasses who showed up to date Courtney. I didn't ask for much - good phone manners, general courtesy, don't be high.

One schmoe knocks on the door one Saturday evening. He's clearly buzzed. He looks at me and says, "Dude!" OK, you're out. He asks if Courtney's home, I say she's not and shut the door. She comes down a few minutes later, is not happy with me. I point out she's not going out with some stoner who calls me Dude.

Fast forward 10 years. She's in one of her friend's wedding. The kid is there, all grown up now, with his very hot girlfriend. He comes up, shakes my hand firmly, looks me in the eye and says, "Mr. Harris, good to see you sir. How are you doing?"

If you'd done that 10 years ago, I told him, you would have had a shot with my daughter.

Will you ever not be an asshole, Courtney asked me. Probably not, I replied.

I do like the dude she's with now (and will probably marry). He still seems a little nervous around me, even though I've never once been an asshole to him.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not to piss in everyone's Cheerios, but I hope my children cheerfully do not seriously date until college, at the earliest. I do not look at all forward to the dating years, and we discourage it already. I know I'm in the minority. Even in kindergarten and first grade, it seems most parents find it adorable.

3. Moderator1

Good luck with that. Odds are good they'll lose their virginity well before they get their high school diploma.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Elder DaughterQuant had one date -- her senior prom date -- in high school and for the longest none in college. Now she's a week away from graduation and is in a couple-months-old relationship with another graduating senior ... and just this week she hit me up for airfare to go meet/visit his parents. I'm thinking, oh shit, I am soooooo not ready for this ...

5. Dick Whitman

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case these days. But I'm OK with that, within reason, more than I am serious relationships that detail college plans and hamper personal growth. The bottom line is that I get that it may happen. I was 16, too. But I won't be encouraging it. It's just not an aspect of this I look forward to or want to hurry along is all.

6. Dick Whitman

Part of it is personal experience. Little brother has a high school and college sweetheart and was the pride of the family. They are long since divorced. I was consistently single. It was frustrating at the time, but now I'm going on 11 years married to my college crush.

7. Moderator1

Yeah - it is sometimes fun seeing them grow and develop in their relationships. And often not because, well, you just never know. My daughter briefly dated a guy we thought was OK. Polite, good family and all that. Turns out he was a fucking thief and ended up doing time.

Everybody knows you can't watch over them all the time but daggone if there aren't a lot of times you sure wish you could.

When David's first serious girlfriend - so dumb she couldn't spell VCU let alone get in there - broke up with him, I was on the road. He called me, very upset, and it took all I had not to shout GOOD! Had a wife at the time, she kept beeping in and when we finally connected she asked, "I feel awful for David but are you as happy as I am?" He recovered very quickly.

Mine made some mistakes, fortunately never the reckless kind that leads to a trip to court or worse. There were bad boyfriends, bad girlfriends. Fortunately, all ended up OK (so far). I adore my daughter-in-law and the guy who appears to be my future son-in-law is a quality person, too.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wait till he gets caught between second and third ...

[​IMG]

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

One thing that left a horrible taste in my mouth from the teen and pre-teen years was I had/have a mom who teases. So not only did I face the normal guy-wrenching challenges of dating during those years, I had to hide from her the fact that I even liked girls, or else get teased mercilessly and made uncomfortable. I've already had to tell her to knock it off with my son when she starts "Ooooooh"-ing when he mentions playing with a girl. He's 6. Things turned out OK. Mrs. Whitman is s knockout and a terrific companion. But it took a long time to get there, thanks to mom.

12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Could turn into a sticky situation

Draft saved Draft deleted