1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proud Dad Moment. Son starts dating.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, May 8, 2016.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

StarSis, as devotees of the various kids' sports threads know, has four daughters aged 6 to 15, and holy moley, I don't envy her and Hubby one bit. They're going to be chasing boys off pretty much the next 12 years.

Actually, as the 16-years-older brother, I had to wear the Darth Vader armor when StarSis herself got involved with a real piece of work her junior year in HS.

I only met this mook twice, he was rude, aloof and bossy toward Sis. A couple of weeks later, I got word this dude had hit her, so it was time for a little visitation ( along with StarBro, then a college senior).

He was convinced to go away immediately and forever, after being introduced to the side of an aluminum siding wall.

That'll be a piece of family lore the kiddies won't hear. (I don't know for sure if Sis has ever discussed it with Hubby.)

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Starman Justice!

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Human nature

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That is awful. Sorry

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes. A couple of years behind.

Already bracing for that craziness.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Someone should start a birds and bees thread.

7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

At what age do you start handing your kid a rubber along with the $40 for the movie.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Bad dating decisions run in our family, so I'll be equally wary when both my son and my daughter start dating.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I would say it's a little different in this case in that we know the family of "the girl" and have for nearly a decade -- they go back to kindergarten. Definitely not a mystery date who isn't "pre-approved" by myself or Mrs. Ex.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Especially if they start dating each other.

steveu likes this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My kids didn't formally date much in middle school and high school. Several times I took my older son to middle school parties where he was the only boy in the house with five or six girls. (And he likes girls).

I made sure the parents were OK, kind of shook my head remembering spin my spin the bottle odds weren't so good and left.

My younger son is now a freshman in college and at his last concert, his grandmother was pointing out to him the matchmaking potential she tought she saw for "pretty little girlfriends" in the band. That's really what a grandson wants to hear!

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Poindexter is hoping for a story of one of the SJers offspring dating a teacher.

Draft saved Draft deleted