1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proud Dad Moment. Son starts dating.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, May 8, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Curious if anyone else ever got to see that coming of age moment with a child.

Earlier this week, our son got his braces off. I drove him from the ortho to school and he was smiling like I haven't seen in more than a year.

What are you going to do?

Eighth-grade son replies: "I'm going to ask out so-and-so to see Captain America on Saturday."

So-and-so is probably the prettiest girl in the whole damn middle school.

She said yes.

Not a bad first date of his life.

Kid has been glowing all weekend. Got back last night around 10:30 as part of a double-date. Driving now to his baseball games and he's just so happy.

I love the guts he had in asking for what he wanted.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Could he tell you if he liked the movie? Lol. Well done, lil ex!

exmediahack likes this.
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

He scraped together $27 and I gave him an extra $40 along with a money clip with advice not to be cheap.

Then I added the $40 is a one-time thing. Not for every date. He smiled and left a few minutes later.

When I was his age, I was an outcast and very socially awkward. I've wanted nothing more than our children to not experience the feelings of isolation and awkwardness that I did. :)

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I was never an outcast but always struggled to go after the girl I wanted. Think it hurt that I didn't have a dad to push me, so you should be very proud. (Dad died when I was 14)

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Keep him the hell away from DaughterQuant.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Congrats but you need to stop looking at those middle school girls. :)

Ace and JC like this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's funny, but I do sort of "check out" the young ladies my son (finishing up his freshman year in college) finds himself around. Not in any sort of lecherous way, but in a sort of "Wow, if I were your age that's who I'd be drawn to" way. I share absolutely none of these thoughts with him, of course. Sons gonna do what sons gonna do.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When I was, I think, a sophomore in high school I dated a girl for a few months. One day my dad was at one of our track meets and noticed the girl and I seemed to be avoiding each other and I seemed generally pissed off.

So he asks and I tell him we broke up. His response was don't worry about it and then listed off five girls I should ask out he thought were hotter.

old_tony and cjericho like this.
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Big Circus and doctorquant like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Got any daughters, exmedia? Just curious.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's the other side of this discussion, how we feel when our daughters start dating. Not exactly the same feeling.

clintrichardson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted