1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protesters storm U.S. Embassy in Cairo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe not the optimum moment for Mr. Romney to politicize the murder of an American diplomat on foreign soil.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Cuts both ways. I guess it comes down to how the undecideds feel.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have difficulty believing many people are up for another war in that part of the world. I also agree with Ragu. It's about 20 years past time to cut Egypt and Israel off from the bribes we pay them not to fight a war neither has the slightest intention of fighting.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What sympathy? They called out the filmmaker as an idiot, which he is, and they said there is no excuse for violence, which is also true.

I'm sure there are people who would rather they tell the radicals, "Suck it up, it's a film," and they wouldn't necessarily be wrong. But when you're dealing with a violent mob, rationality isn't running rampant.

And if we'd started shooting at them, the rest of the Arab world would have gone even more ballistic, and Romney would then be saying that Obama has lost control of the Middle East.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sam Bacile. Filmmaker/provocateur.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/sam-bacile-in-hiding_n_1876044.html

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Glad you got past my "no it's trillions!" stupidity. I felt like a jackass.

With how bad our fiscal management is, and the debt situation we are in, one of the easiest places to start is by not putting ourselves in debt to give money to OTHER countries. It shocks me that we can't find widespread agreement about that.

7. Boom_70

Agreed. While we debate the paltry sums for domestic welfare programs like school lunches and grants to NPR, we are giving trillions to Egypt and Afghanistan with little question.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Our foreign aid budget is infinitesimal, relatively speaking. And when it helps the helpless or buys us peace, it's worth every penny.

Arming both sides of these regional conflicts on the other hand, not so much.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Who actually issued the initial apology? Is there any evidence that it was anyone more than tangentially connected with the administration?

And I don't see the issue with essentially saying, hey, stop putting people's lives in danger to prove a point. You know what's going to happen with this sort of film, that's exactly the reason you did it in the first place, so knock it the fuck off.

No one's arguing that the response was appropriate, commensurate or anything else. But I'm also guessing that if, let's say, a group of Muslim radicals burned a U.S. flag in Cullman, Alabama, the response wouldn't exactly be quiet, or even necessarily nonviolent.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Nope.

11. Boom_70

If you consider the US Embassy in Cairo to be only tangentially connected to the Obama administration I guess you raise a valid question.

Here's a link to the official statement from Us Embassy Cairo:

http://egypt.usembassy.gov/pr091112.html

It does not seem implausible that someone at The State Dept would have had to approve such a statement.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why aren't people lined up at Chick-Fil-a in support of this filmmaker's free-speech rights?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.