1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protectionism --- Free Trade Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Mar 5, 2008.

?

Which most closely describes your political ideology and where you stand on trade?

1. Conservative Protectionist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Conservative Free Trade

27.3%
  3. Liberal Protectionist

21.2%
  4. Liberal Free Trade

15.2%
  5. Independent Protectionist

12.1%
  6. Independent Free Trade

24.2%
  1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Lord knows I'm not really interested in entering the fray here- all the vitriol on the umpteenth Wal Mart thread a few weeks back wore me out. And no one's mind is going to change as a result of any of these threads...it's all pissing in the wind, basically.

But I feel the need to ask...Ragu, why are you requesting proof of something that's historical fact? What economic system was the one in place when children were working in the mines in this country? Anarcho-syndicalism?

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, I gotta catch up on this bad boy tonight after dinner.

All I can say is, don't hate my boy Ragz 'cause he's brilliant.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How am I supposed to respond to that? You make a general, wide-ranging comment and want a simplistic answer. We had child labor attrocities in this country throughout the 19th century and into the 20th century. We also had some backward-ass restrictive protectionist policies in place and the last vestiges of mercantilism that prevented the kind of competition we have since benefited from as thought has drifted toward the ideas of Adam Smith and David Hume and other classical economists.

Your question is broad and really doesn't relate to what I have been saying, and I am not understanding how it fits into a c conversation about free trade. Am I supposed to now detail the restrictive protectionist policies that dominated the U.S. at the same time "children were working in mines."? And if I allow you to sidetrack me, and then take the time to do that, will you make a cause and effect argument that the reason children were working in mines was that short-sighted (and more often, corrupt) government policy stifled competitive practices in general (not just when it came to trade)?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's why I'm waiting for the explanation. Most people, even those who don't have Ragu's encyclopedic knowledge of economics, would know that.

5. writing irish

The phenomenon of child labor occurred because unscrupulous employers took advantage of the fact that child labor laws were either non-existent or not enforced. If you choose to believe something else, go for it.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We were told we could post our resumes here. Some of us are thinking of making a career change.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And the phenomenon continues in countries where free trade policies allow us to move our factories.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Give it time, people. The all-benevolent Invisible Hand will remedy these issues if we unlock the handcuffs.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

WI, This is a sidetrack... But child labor was commonplace throughout history -- by necessity. Prior to the industrial revolution, children were put to work in the agrarian economy. It was out of necessity, not because of unscrupulous adults. I will credit this to Milton Friedman... But he demonstrated how the industrial revolution -- because of the net gains to our economy it brought about -- actually brought about a net decline in child labor, rather than an increase. I don't have to "believe" that. It's provable using empirical evidence. What the industrial revolution -- to a large extent, the economy working on its own, rather than being managed -- made happen was that people became wealthier. Real wages rose, and more parents became able to afford to send their children to school instead of work. And as a result, child labor declined compared to the hundreds of years before, in which virtually all children were put to work. This decline happened both before AND after the legislation you are touting.

Again, it is cause and effect. Competitive practices made it so that parents didn't have to put their children to work. Forced legislation may have too. What the legislation did, though, was enforce rules that the economy at the time could not yet handle. Most of the poor states still needed child labor--as abhorrent as it sounds to our sensibilities today, it was the difference between families getting by and families starving. And what the legislation may have done was retard the economic growth that could have ended child labor on its own, while making people better off economically at the same time.

Look at poor societies today. Parents put their children to work in third-wold countries. Is it economic reality that is making them do this or "unscrupulous" behavior? And is the best way to handle it to outlaw it -- and make those economies suffer for decades more because families can't afford to feed everyone -- or is it better to allow competitive practices raise the standard of living to the point that parents don't have to send their children to work?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Still waiting.......but I'm a patient guy.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

OK, so you think the industrial revolution solved the child labor problem and it's "provable using empirical evidence" because child labor declined afterward? But you don't think that has anything to do with the fact that Congress began passing ANTI-CHILD LABOR LAWS in response to the massive abuse of children being forced to work in factories DURING the industrial revolution?

Well of course it couldn't have been child labor legislation, like Roosevelt's comprehensive reforms in the 1930s, because those laws are restraints on the unfettered free market, so they must be bad according to Adam Smith. Instead it was the factories themselves that cured the problem by making everyone so goddamn prosperous that the kiddies didn't need to work anymore. And we all know that, if no child labor or minimum wage laws had ever been passed, those factory owners would've stopped employing children and raised wages anyways. Just out the goodness of their hearts. Just let that invisible hand go, baby, it'll make everything right in the end.

12. writing irish

EDIT: No comment from me could in any significant way underscore the blatant lunacy above. It speaks for itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted