1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protecting the fans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, May 21, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Not if the fan says, "No thanks, I'm not pressing charges. I'm not filing suit. I was a dipshit talking to my friend on my cell and waving behind the dugout so I could get on TV."

2. Pete Incaviglia

Are you a lawyer? And by the way, the insurance company would find every loophole to get out of that.

And no, you shouldn't have to protect the stupid. I'll never change my stance on that. If you're too fucking dumb to pay attention at a baseball game, you DESERVE to get hit.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to discuss how things should be; rather, I'm asking people how they would handle an existing problem -- growing liability concerns with regard to flying bats and balls -- at MLB stadiums -- if they were an MLB official.

Saying somebody deserved to get because he wasn't paying attention won't fly in court when you're defending a suit from a guy with permanent brain damage from getting hit by a flying bat.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Idiots. I suppose Bud Selig is sitting in his office thinking, "Yeah, it's a good idea to do nothing about our customers potentially getting killed."

Dying of boredom, sure; dying of flying bats, never.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Cranberry, by my tone and arguments sure you can see I feel nothing should be done. Nothing should be changed. At all. Period.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Baseball - or any other sport - doesn't need another Brittanie Cecil.

Bats seem to be splintering at an increasing rate. ESPN enjoys showing the beanballs into the stands a little more than it should. Something should be done, particularly in a case like this where there very little, if any drawback, for doing more.

The netting should be extended. I'm glad Pete feels the way he does, but too many others will say the same and keep an attorney - one that likes litigation just a little too much - on speed dial.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Doing nothing could be an incredibly bad business decision.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

what about golf? Think of the amount of errant tee shots that hit folks in the gallery......the PGA should really consider installing nets 200 - 300yds from the tee box.

Obviously I don't think nets should be installed in baseball either, we've managed to watch games for 100 years with the current format.

Has there been any numbers that prove more bats or balls are going into the stands? I've watched a lot of baseball over the past 20 years, and I haven't noticed an increase......but I admit I haven't focused on it either.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Gregg Zaun of the Jays seems to lose his bat once every couple of games.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Here's the question: If they put up netting, how many don't buy tickets behind it? Or, do they drop the price. I know I wouldn't sit there any longer, and it's where I sit now. I'd just stop going and enjoy the games on my HD TV in the comfort of my living room. I'm not watching baseball through a mesh screen.

It's still a risk/reward situation for the owners and MLB. Right now, the risk, although it may seem huge, isn't.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

NHL, minor pro and junior leagues went through the same thing, ticket holders bitching about the netting. Now you don't even notice it.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I don't see the harm of extending the nets if they want to. And there are people who go to games who don't have the reflexes to get out of the way fast enough, such as children or the elderly. I don't blame them at all if they get hit.

Draft saved Draft deleted