1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pros vs. Joes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

This show is so great. It takes a pretty good idea and is kind of entertaining. But the thing that puts it over the edge is how serious it takes itself. All of these washed up pros talking some trash and waiting to pick up their checks. The Joes who all think they're athletic legends because they were an intramural all-star. And best of all the announcer. I can't think of his name, it's something Greek, I think he played football at USC. The guy is so over the top and the best part is he'll be doing a play by play ripping the Joes and he's standing about 5 feet away.
    In the episode I just watched he said people watching the show would name their children Donnie because of some Joe who showed great heart. I'm telling you for mindless entertainment it's tough to beat.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

The announcer's voice is possibly the most annoying in TV history.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wasn't Jerry Rice on that show? I guess he'll do anything for a check these days.

4. Boobie Miles

I'm actually surprised the caliber of athlete they've landed. It must be a pretty good check. I'm not shocked to see Kevin Green on it. I was to see Rice and Clyde Drexler and 'Nique. Hall of Famers should not be going on PvJ.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Yeah, I saw one episode where Jessie Armstead kicked this guy's ass because he disrespected him.

Did it without a helmet on, too.

Those Joes are hilarious. Your average YMCA ballers, only 10 times more annoying.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've seen Warren Moon and Roy Jones Jr. on there, too. And some of the Joes have played some college ball in different sports. Still, it is funny in an unintentional way.
    It shows, though, just how good you have to be to even play in a professional league and how big a talent gap there really is between a pro athlete and a decent amateur.
    I remember seeing one with Rob Dibble on there, and the challenge was to get as many hits off him as you could in nine pitches. Dibble, who retired probably 8 or 9 years ago, is throwing 82-84 mph. A decent high school pitcher throws harder than that. And yet the Joes could barely touch him. I think one guy dribbled a three-hopper through the infield for the only hit any of the three got.
    Another one, the challenge was to tackle Eric Dickerson. Out of three guys, one -- someone who had played college football, so you know he had some kind of skills -- was able to make a tackle. I think he went 2-for-5. And Dickerson is 145 years old.
    Washed up or not, the pros they bring in make you appreciate how good they must have been in their prime.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I love everything about the show except Petros.

8. Boobie Miles

See I love him in a love to hate him way. If you take him serious you have to hate him. But if you laugh at the ridiculous things he says, and says right next to the people he's seeing them about, it's pretty damn funny.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I can see that, but he's just so loud and obnoxious. It's too much for me.

10. pa writer

pa writer Member

My favorite moment was when some Joe got beat on a crossover by Tim Hardaway (no shame in that), then threw the ball at Hardaway in frustration. Safe to say, when Claude Lemieux decked said Joe in the open ice in the next challenge, no one felt bad for him.

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I hate this show for the same reason I hate American Idol: Instead of shitting on the awful pros, let's shit on the average Joe just lookin' for his/her 15 minutes.

Are they asking for it by signing up? Yes. Does that make it right in my eyes? No.

Sorry to bring the mood down. I just really fucking hate this show.

Draft saved Draft deleted