1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pros and college sports vs. preps sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

There are a lot of guys covering preps who could fare well covering pros and colleges. There are a lot guys covering pros and colleges who should be covering preps.
    Allen Iverson once said "I can do your job much easier than you can do mine." Many laughed. I didn't because I knew he was right to a certain extent.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I've done both, and I agree with everyone who said that neither is harder or easier. The demands are just different.

I will say that I'll bet covering preps is easier now than it was in my day, which was pre-wifi. Back then I was using an old Radio Shack 100 and wondering where I could find a suitable phone after the game. Now you get get a wireless card for your laptop, and you can file from just about anyplace on the face of the earth.

3. And so the green-eyed monster rears its head on this site. Ridiculous. Shameful even.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bobcat, I used the old TI, which was short for Texas Instrument. If you ran out of paper on that thing, you were in trouble and had to dictate. That machine predated the tandy.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Should be covering preps? Why? Because they aren't good enough to cover pros?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Buck, you are not old enough to know what a TI is. And not every phone fit the couplers that came with it.
    Moddy, covering preps or who covers preps comes down to God's will, timing, talent and skill. There are many outstanding prep writers in this country who love doing what they do and don't care to write college or pro sports. There are many who believe that if you cover preps, you're the best. That simply is not true.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Someone at HR made that crack to me once. She apologized a few minutes later. Bygones, Drip.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, here's a surprise - I'm still confused. You still don't explain why some who cover pros should be covering preps. Is it because they are bad and you think preps is where they belong? It comes off as very negative toward prep writers -and as you mention there are some good ones who have chosen that as their career path (and power to them, I often wonder if I should have done the same and spent more time with my kids when they were home).
    You say some who cover preps think they're the best and that isn't true. Well, duh. That's true for every area of coverage.
    I also think God has bigger things to worry about than who is covering preps where.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Yeah, like how many touchdowns Terrell Owens scores.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Buck, that sounds like a personal issue that has nothing to do with what the discussion is about. Nevertheless, I'm glad that it worked out for you.
    Moddy, I think you misinterpreted what I have written. The point is that there are many writers covering preps who could do a good job covering pros or colleges and vice versa. Covering pros doesn't necessarily mean you are the best reporter or writer at your paper. I think there are many who come up with that assumption, which I think is wrong.
    As for God, I always put him first so that's where it begins with me. Others may see life differently and more power to them.

11. At big papers, yes, it usually does. Or at least the most seasoned. And highest paid. There are, I'm sure exceptions. But papers that take pro coverage seriously don't put their best beat people on preps (unless it's in some sort of local enterprise role where they bounce around from level to level).

I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's, in general, the case.

12. Waylon, I was just about to say the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted