1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proposed college football rule changes for 2014

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We're talking about real sports here, where weeping pussies don't lie on the field while play is going on.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well played.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Did all these coaches that are worried about player safety use all their timeouts to allow their players to get rest and heal?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's the magic spray.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I highly recommend giving a listen to Mike Leach's brilliant evisceration of this proposal starting at about the 1:30 mark of this podcast:

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/wjox/media/mp3/Mike_Leach-1392337109.mp3

Among other things, he makes it rather apparent that he's aiming his comments at Nick Saban by citing Auburn and A & M, not coincidentally the last two SEC teams to beat Saban, as his two examples of the teams the rule is trying to stop to serve the "transparent agenda" of certain other teams.

Not often I feel like applauding a coach's comments, but I did after this listen.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I always thought being that players being smart, aggressive, inventive, versatile and in great physical shape were good things.

This bullshit legislates against all of that for the benefit of teams which are stupid, reactive, position-restricted and easily-tired.

8. Inky_Wretch

The hilarious thing is the fans of schools who have been beaten by uptempo teams are buying hook, line and sinker the BS about this being a move to protect players. Doesn't matter there's no evidence to support that assertion.

(And they're the same folks who decry the wussification of football when hits to the head are penalized.)

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ironically when Tommy Tuberville brought Tony Franklin to Auburn to put in
    the uptempo spread fans hated it. Now War Eagle fans can't get enough.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is from yesterday, but I was busy and didn't see it ... Rules committee chairman Troy Calhoun of Air Force is now backpedaling like Deion Sanders in his prime:

sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/air-force-coach-troy-calhoun-says-ncaa-football-221502430--ncaaf.html

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So is that twice in less than three months that Malzahn has beaten Saban?

I applaud those like Leach and all the social media loudmouths (maybe even including us knuckleheads on this thread) for helping create the public backlash now leading to the backpedaling.

12. Inky_Wretch

Hey Bielema, what's your evidence the uptempo offenses cause injuries? "Death certificates."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/20/bret-bielema-cites-players-death-to-support-defensive-sub-rule/

Draft saved Draft deleted