1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proposal in Akron: 17 percent pay cut

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then the union should come back with this offer: 17 percent less pages of content of the paper. Leave the pages blank, with a short explanation for the readers of why there is suddenly a lot of white space.

Either that, or leave 17 percent of every page blank.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's a negotiating ploy, pure and simple.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This situation is just begging for a FOIA or a state's PIA request.

However, I'm not sure if private companies or even publicly traded companies are beholden to that or not.

While I'm at it, the staff's response should be as follows:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Baron Scicluna

FOIA and stuff of that ilk are meant for public records, not for private companies.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's what I was afraid of.

HOWEVER, if a company is looking to cut back on salaries and there's a union, you'd better believe they'd need to open those freaking books before a 17 percent pay cut should even be on the table.

6. Baron Scicluna

In a perfect world, sure. Unfortunatly in this environment, the union is probably going to bend over. What would be great would be if the union told management to go to hell and close the paper down.

They might as well, since it seems like no one will be able to make any sort of living there, anyways.

7. I took a 34 percent pay cut earlier this year. Seventeen sounds pretty good right about now. ... It's all a matter of perspective :)

8. school of old

school of old New Member

Wow. Thirty-four percent at one job or did you change jobs?

9. I understand this is a business, but it's a business for employees, too, and the sooner some of you start thinking that way (using "you" to encompass everyone still working full-time in the business), the sooner you start to wrest at least a little bit of control and dignity back. There's no way a college-educated person should accept a 17 percent paycut, especially from a company that says it is still making money. No way. I'd walk. I wouldn't pass Go. Papers have taken advantage of the "calling" bullshit for way too long, as it's OK if it's a business on their end, but employees should work for free and thank them for the opportunity. Doesn't everyone get tired of getting treated like this?

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This is what happens when people who work mostly for reasons other than money are subject to bosses who work only for money.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Last year's book "(Not) Keeping Up With Our Parents" addresses the divide between what is called the educated professional middle class expect from their lives and jobs and the reality of what employers expect. Sure, walking away at the indignity of a large pay cut would make a point of some sort, but at what expense? Are there other humanities-based jobs just sitting out there for the college educated?

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Notice, too, in the lead, the mention of "re-nigging" about an agreement. Spell check, anyone?

Draft saved Draft deleted