1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proposal in Akron: 17 percent pay cut

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Seventeen! Jeez

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=172169

Sorry if I missed this being posted earlier.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Wow. Just Wow.

With the other reductions (insurance, vacations, OT pay, etc.) the overall reductions are 24 to 36 percent.

That's a lot to swallow.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I get a 3% paycut starting in January. I should be ecstatic.

4. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

When asked if the company was willing to open the books company negotiator Karen Lefton stated that owner David Black was a very private individual and would keep his business matters private as well. When pushed on the issue by Guild staff representative Bruce Nelson, Lefton stated, "we are not saying we are not making a profit, we aren't pleading poverty." She went on to say that the company is not unable to pay at current levels, they just doesn't want to.
    WTF?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Unbelievable. Takes some incredible stupidity or huge fucking balls to say something like that.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Supply = Incredibly abundant
    Demand = Almost nonexistant
    Result = Grab your ankles

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The relative lack of response to this thread shows just how numb and desensitized we all are becoming. People don't even know what to say to this stuff anymore.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The formula above is correct.

The larger question is, why wouldn't they cut pay? In this environment, they might as well. What are they going to do, leave and go get other jobs?

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

That is fucking appalling that someone would come out and say that. Jesus.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Actually, I find the blunt directness to be oddly appealing in its appalling honesty.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is a Guild deal, so the answer from employees should be "Fuck no." At some point, you have to fight, or why have a union.
    A 36 percent pay cut means you might as well sink the damn ship as go on working in the boiler room.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'm friends with a guy who worked for David Black.

Needless to say, from that guy's stories and this e-mail, David Black can go fuck himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted