1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proposal ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GVLakerGuy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Don't do anything too convoluted -- it leaves too many things to get screwed up, and it forces the moment. Have the ring, put yourself in potentially romantic situations and do it when it feels right.

I had the ring with all kinds of potential scenarios, and the storm of the century hit. We were left without electricity, with a roaring fire and candles, and I thought, "It doesn't get any more memorable or romantic than this."

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I proposed to my girlfriend at the Baseball Hall of Fame. No lie.

We are both Red Sox fans, she's liked baseball her whole life, so I knew it wouldn't be a bad deal. I called the PR department and ended up getting in touch with the head of the HOF's marketing department. They set the whole thing up so I could safely go through the exhibits and not let my girlfriend think anything was up.

We went with her family, who had never been to the Hall (my GF had been once, I've been a bunch of times) and they knew what was going on, as did my parents, who were snuck into the room with all the World Series rings. I got into that room, told her I had a better ring, got down on one knee and popped the question. She said yes, and we plan on getting married next May.

We ended up having Milo Stewart, the HOF's main photographer take some engagement photos, and the story of us being engaged at the Hall went onto the Red Sox's site and MLB.com.

Also, if you haven't already, get something engraved on the inside of the ring. The saying I had put onto her ring was "I hit a home run when I met you." Cheesy, but it worked!

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Did this get mentioned anywhere?

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Nice. I just hope it wasn't the biggest ring in the room, because there is some crazy shit in there.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

You had that engraved on an engagement ring? Who are you, Jimmy Fallon?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no-maw.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

No, it wasn't, but it was big enough. I AM a journalist, you know.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That is awesome. Hell, I'd get married to a guy who'd do that for me.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Neither. But she liked it, so what the hell?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Bejeweled is underrated.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nerd.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That is an established fact. I like LOTR and Star Wars and had a light saber as a kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted