1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proposal ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GVLakerGuy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. GVLakerGuy

GVLakerGuy Member

I am a writer and I thought about that, but I wondered if that was a cop-out. It's like, I'm a writer so it comes easy for me, so writing something wouldn't necessarily require a lot of effort like staging some big, romantic kind of proposal. It wouldn't be special, or would it? I could be totally wrong on this point.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that. :)

The reason I ask is because younger women (18-22ish) tend to want more of the "fairytale" proposal, something they can impress their friends with. Those who are out of the "Disney princess" stage tend to want something more thoughtful and meaningful. I agree with including something written, if that's your specialty.

3. GVLakerGuy

GVLakerGuy Member

:) That's the most depressing lyric I think I've ever read

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

If she's old-fashioned, don't forget to ask her dad's consent.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Yes, but having something written means there is a lasting record of the moment, something she can literally go back and re-read.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

If you don't do it at a sporting event, you're a coward.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

"We gonna fuckin do this or what?"

-or-

I took my future wife to our alma mater's baseball field...during our first semester together, she'd go with me to games I was covering. Those are some of our fondest memories. So I said I had to go to the Jets complex to pick something up for a freelance story and I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride. We got there and I said "Hey, I heard they renovated the baseball field. Let's go check it out."

turns out the damn softball team was holding workouts. So there went my plans to ask her to marry me at home plate. My heart about to leap out of my chest, I stopped behind the bleachers (actually just four rows of seats, nobody watches college baseball on Long Island). I said "I have to be honest with you: I don't have to pick anything up at the Jets complex."

She looked at me quizzicly. then I got down on one knee and she knew. "Blah blah blah," I said, she got teary-eyed, said yes and that was that! :D

BTW, we'd booked the reception earlier in the month (June) for the following June 29. She told me if I didn't ask her before June 29, 2001, she'd tell all our friends we were getting married. I asked her June 28. :D

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

[blue] Propose over the scoreboard at a big-league sporting event. I don't think that's ever been done. [/blue]

9. pallister

pallister Guest

GV, even if writing normally comes easy to you, I'm guessing if you really want to put a lot into this proposal, whatever you write would take a considerable amount of thought and effort. In that way, while it might be easier than if Joe Construction Worker was writing something, I bet it wouldn't be too easy -- which likely would make it all the more meaningful for the both of you.

And to echo Cadet, whatever you write, unlike whatever you say, is a lasting reminder to her of why you got married in the first place.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Hey baby. I like yoos.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

1. Congrats, GV.

2. Whoever said write her something was right on. It might come easy to you most of the time, but not everybody can write and having something that she can put away in a box and pull out from time to time to read probably means more than any ring you could buy.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Damn, had I known that, I could have saved a lot of money. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted