1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proper way to quote relay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Platyrhynchos, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

How do you write a relay when a coach says “four by one.”

Is it “four-by-one”? Is it “4 x 1”?

What's the proper way to write this? Naturally, it goes the same with a 4 x 4 and 43 x 8.

Thanks.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The coach is speaking in shorthand that would be confusing to most readers. I would paraphrase it.

Normally, though, I would write it as the 4 x 100 relay or the 400 relay (which avoids the trouble altogether).

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I prefer 400-meter relay, 400 relay on second reference.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Adding yards or meters helps.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Coaches and officials say "4 by 100."

I agree with those who say by far the easiest way to deal with this is to say 400 or 1,600 relay...

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I believe in a quote you'd probably paraphrase and say 4x100, unless you had mentioned it that way fairly recently in the story. If it's something like...

Podunk High's 4x100 meter relay team of Sue Blowme, Ivana Humpya, Sally Rideallnight and Jill Drunkenwhore edged Shelbyville by two-tenths of a second. Drunkenwhore pulled out the win with a strong anchor leg, running her segment in 11.53 seconds.
    "We did a great job in the four-by-one," Podunk coach Brenda Notalesbian said. "That Drunkenwhore can really go, let me tell you."

...then you'd go with the direct quote. Otherwise, paraphrase and go with 4x100 or (4x100).

Personally, though, I try to avoid using "400-meter relay", "1,600-meter relay", etc. Even though it's probably the right way to do it, to me it's a little confusing. 400-meter relay sounds like each person was running 400 meters, not 100. So I prefer 4x100, 4x200, etc.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Only six people actually read the track stories, so I don't worry too much about confusing those six.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Hey, buddy, there are 80 kids on the track team. Granted, 70 of them are there just to be on a team and hang out with their friends and jump on the mats, but still.

I actually got a coach to admit that a few weeks ago. It was a proud moment.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

"We liked the way our (4x100) ran today," said the coach. ... but I like the idea of paraphrasing. Gonna have to be a good quote to add a parenthetical.

Also, 4x100 relay is redundant.

10. never use X

"4-by-8"

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Well, "4x800" is our style, so we use it.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

And because there are twice as many kids on the track team than the baseball team, they should get twice as much coverage. Of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted