1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proper dress while not in the office

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dsg155, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Great place to keep your press card.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

In summer, a snappy straw Panama is quite the look, too.

3. I know a couple of writers who wear shorts to football games, albeit college. I find it ridiculous that they dress that way but it's not my business or my employee. I try to dress professional. Enough said.

4. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

No. His pig tits still stick out.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Spinited circa 1951

[​IMG]

6. A psychologist friend of mine (not <i>my</i> psychologist, mind you) told me that what you where has a definite effect on the person you're conversing with.

This seems like common sense, but, I've kind of adapted that to what I wear to games.

Say I'm covering Jabroni Central High (colors: Red and White) at Rimjob Tech High (colors: Green and gold). In this case, I would avoid a shirt with red, green or yellow in it. I would wear blue.

It seems silly, but, a coach and players who have spent 48 minutes trying to beat the ever-loving crap out of a team wearing red jerseys, are maybe not going to be quite as open to a reporter wearing a bright red polo.

It's a personal thing that I think works for me. Bottom line: what you wear matters and reflects back to you either positively or negatively.

7. Heck, I just just pop the shirt altogether. Give the kids a look at what their pecs and abs will be like after 20 years of hard livin'. I had to stop doing that at girls volleyball games though. Legal reasons.

8. Pot, shake hands with kettle.

9. Ok this isn't funny. Who's trying to out me? Where did you find my photo? If my employer finds out I'm on here all the time, I'm going to be in big trouble and so are you pal.

Anybody seen my old derby hat?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The answer to the thread title, and I say this with all seriousness:

If you need to ask the question, probably better than you thought.

(Personally, I have a hell of a lot of nerve giving that answer, but it's the truth.)

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've seen plenty of ... experienced ... writers still wearing suits and hats on assignments. It's really cool, and I really would like to bring that back.

Draft saved Draft deleted