1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proper dress while not in the office

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dsg155, Sep 8, 2008.

1. dsg155

dsg155 Member

I know there was a thread about dress code that was floating around awhile back, but wanted to find this out. I was covering an NFL game Sunday and I'm not a beat writer, more of a perk of the job.

I am aware of who the beat guys are and noticed that a few were wearing jeans/polo shirts and I don't have a problem with that. Then I noticed at least one wearing shorts, meanwhile the visiting team's media were decked out in ties/nice pants and at least one full on suit.

I'm not suggesting that everyone wear suits, because I know how uncomfortable they can be for a three-hour game. But shouldn't a professional covering professionals at least make an attempt to look decent, or am I just out of line on my thinking?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Great idea for a thread!

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I would guess the visiting team media may be dressed like that because they were on an airplane.

I would say a shirt with a collar. I think shorts probably aren't appropriate.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

And pop the collar.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It varies so much, IMO. I haven't worn shorts to an NFL game and can't imagine I ever would, but I've worn them at race tracks when it's 100 degrees and the sanctioning body allowed it.

6. jps

jps Active Member

or the taco. both would be excessive.

7. dsg155

dsg155 Member

I can see that, I just thought it was odd at an NFL game. And it was 1 p.m. game so I imagine the visiting media was probably in town on Saturday, maybe not.

8. jps

jps Active Member

at the risk of helping this thread grow to multiple pages before an inevitable lock, wear what you think is appropriate. people remember. if it comes down to you and another dude for a job, and that dude's a flip-flop wearin fool, as long as you're not and all else is equal, I hire you.

personally, I tend to go with at least a polo, sometimes dress shorts if weather is appropriate, but more often a collar. have worn a sportscoat to a couple of 'bigger' games.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Seriously, what is the over-under on the number of "what should you wear to cover events" threads?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't even own a proper dress.

11. jps

jps Active Member

gola's got extra and he's a giver. pm him your address.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Or pm Erin Andrews to ask for style recommendations.

Draft saved Draft deleted