1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proper attribution question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigJim5190, Aug 19, 2007.

1. BigJim5190

BigJim5190 Member

This came up a few weeks ago and I'm sure there's a hard-and-fast rule for it, but here goes:

Awhile back there was a incident that happened locally that got minor AP play. We covered the incident as it happened and when we did a follow, the writer inserted AP quotes and attributed with "soandso told the AP".

I think that's a better way to do it, but a co-worker argued that we should leave the attribution off the quote and run a reader at the bottom "Materials from the AP and so on".

Who owes who a beer?

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I'd go with it attributed with the quote. Seems more accurate to me.
    "AP contributed to this report" or whatever at the bottom seems much less specific and leaves a lot up to the imagination about exactly what the AP contributed. Was it one small fact, like the player's middle name, or did they contribute every single word except the lede?
    With the attribution by the quote, I have a better understanding of who did what.

My .02, FWIW.

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Attribute the quote to AP. You don't want to be left holding the bag if there was a mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted