1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proper attire for the press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TomVince123, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

My rules of thumb:

1. Shoes should be clean, and comfortable for you to walk or stand for extended periods of time.

2. No T-shirts of any type. Either a polo or button-down shirt with no team logos. The only time I worry about team colors is if the shirt is colored so that it looks too much like official team apparel.

3. Jeans for the most part, but there may be occasions in which khakis are necessary. Only time I will wear shorts is if I'm outside for extended periods and temperatures will exceed 90 degrees.

4. If I need to wear something on my head, I stick with a baseball cap that doesn't have anything to do with sports teams. Exception: If you cover mostly prep sports, you can get away with wearing a pro sports logo cap, because nobody there is going to care about that sort of thing.

5. I never found it necessary to wear a tie unless I was attending a semi-formal event.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Nothing with a beer company logo.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Well shit! There goes my wardrobe!

Kidding of course, but a funny story about beer logos: I have a "Duff Beer" hat that I used to wear around the office and to a game if I forgot I had to cover something that day. My ME complained about me wearing "beer stuff" to work, which she found offensive (she was Latter Day Saint or Mormon or something of the like). She told the publisher (the old SE) and he called me in. I showed him the laugh and after he was done laughing, he said he would talk to her.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just use common sense.

If you have to cover a court case, you wear a shirt and tie. If you're covering a minor-league baseball game where the people you'll be interviewing are likely in their skivvies drinking a beer after a game, there's no reason not to wear shorts. I agree with the comfortable shoes thing big time. There are a lot of long walks from press parking lots at college football games, and in some smaller FCS venues you'll be going up and down a ton of stadium steps.

Golf is so laid back ... yes, wear a collar but shorts are just fine. At the last US Open I covered, I'd say at least 60 percent of the people there were in shorts.

6. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

I almost always wear khakis or dark blue slacks, dark socks, casual/nice dress shoes (Rockports are as comfy as sneakers and they are plenty professional), a belt and either a polo or button down, and always tucked in. I will wear shorts to NFL training camp and any practices (college football, etc) if it's very warm outside, and at times will not tuck in my shirt, depending on the situation. I'll even wear shorts at college conference media days at a resort, spring football game, or staking out a situation in the spring or summer. Otherwise, including NHL or NBA camps, mid-week pressers, it's khakis or slacks for me. I will upgrade some for NCAA Tourney, playoffs, bowls, huge rivalry games that draw media that don't normally cover those teams, etc.

Not a fan of how some of the younger types dress these days, but I was once their ages, so I get it. Headgear unless you're outdoors is a no-no. Same goes for team logos of any kind. I don't mind when others wear gifts (shirts, pullovers) given to media when first entering to over an event, though I've never done it and never will. In fact, I usually give that stuff away to friends and family. I occasionally buy something for myself at an event (Final Four, etc) but won't wear it until I get home, and I always make sure it includes names and logos of all of the participants, that way I can avoid the silly homer claims by others.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's harmless, of course, but there's an insinuation on the part of some people that if your are wearing a beer logo, you are somehow endorsing alcoholism, drunk driving, etc. Not at all true, of course, but that's the image in some people's minds.

8. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I cover a lot of college football and basketball and I typically wear dress slacks, shirt and tie and shoes that are not dress shoes but also aren't tennis shoes -- Sketchers and such. I'll also often wear a sweater over the dress shirt but with no tie, especially in the cold Midwestern winter.

But that's all personal preference -- I like dress shirts and ties. The only things that stand out are (as already pointed out) team apparel and those who are substantially underdressed. Now that we're doing more video, where the public can actually see what you look like while working, I'm conscious of trying to look especially professional.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good point about the video. When I've done video, I usually dress like a TV reporter, which normally means coat and tie, or at least blazer and open-collar shirt.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

IIRC, I typically did business casual when I went to cover games.

I expected anyone covering events for me to dress that way, whether it was a game or another story.

In the office? Unless the governor or some other dignitary was coming, my dress code was, "we expect you to wear clothes."

11. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Best editor I've ever had, hands down, gave short and simple advice on everything. On this topic it was this, "Don't be the worst dressed person in the press box."

I never have been.

However, the bitching about it being hot really gets to me. While Global Climate Change could factor into this, look at the way people dressed 80 years ago. No AC anywhere, and these guys wore suits all the time. I'm not saying you have to wear a suit, but you're not going to die, I promise you.

On the shoe topic, I've got these: http://www.shoebuy.com/rockport-classic-venetian-loafer/683264/1399211?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla_with_promotion-_-none-_-none-_-none

When I was in my 20s, I thought Rockport?!?! Oh, hell no. Those are my Dad's shoes. I'm in my 30s now and got them as a gift and couldn't return them, so, I thought, "What the heck?" I will tell you, pure bliss. Best dress shoes I've ever worn. Rockports do have some that make you look like an AARP Gold member -- and I may be getting old -- but I don't think these are them.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How do we know? You'd never tell! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted