1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proper attire for the press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TomVince123, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If you're going to be out in the sun for a long time and burn easily, as I do, is some sort of hat OK?

Obviously not a baseball hat with a team logo, but some sort of hat?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I would think so. I have a Panama Jack hat I picked up on our honeymoon years ago, and I've been busting it out more and more lately. Wide-brimmed, solid top, almost looks like a fedora. Completely neutral in terms of looks and colors, and it keeps the sun off my neck as well as my head. I can't even imagine anyone having a problem with me wearing it outdoors.
    It actually looks a little silly on my head, so people chuckle at it sometimes and it's a good icebreaker, to boot.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, if I'm covering baseball or early-season high school football, I almost always wear a hat. My go-to is one bearing the name of a small NAIA school in another state (in my mom's hometown), so there's little chance anyone there thinks I'm some goofball homer.

On the flip side, one of the stringers at the competition used to show up to high school games wearing an LSU cap, shirt/sweatshirt and shorts. I remember the PA guy's kid excitedly saying one night "there's an LSU scout here!" His dad said, "no son, that's the guy from the [Podunk Press]."

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've seen everything from ties and sportcoats with dress slacks and nice shoes to khaki slacks or shorts and a golf shirt to a sports editor looking like a bum wearing sweatpants and worn out sneakers.

Overdress. Look professional. If you're going to be outdoors, wear a hat or cap.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A cowboy (not to be confused with Cowboys) hat would work. One swim/water polo coach told me that at the start of the school year, he'd go to the discount store and find a big straw hat. By the end of the year, he tossed it since its job was done until next season.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. boxingnut4324

boxingnut4324 Member

A past editor of mine once said "If you'd wear it on the golf course you can wear it on the beat, but you never wear jean shorts." I've been living by that ever since.

However, when New England winter hits I'm just dressing to stay warm so if my sweater and winter coat are the colors of the team you don't like then oh well. It's 15 outside and maybe 35 in the rink; warmth is a higher priority. Also, I always keep an extra shirt in my car in case my polo/button up gets caught with an untimely stain.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I will add that dress pants are much more comfortable than cotton khakis and jeans, especially if it's anywhere over 80.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I was in court a lot on my last beat - the two cities' district courts and the county's circuit court. A dress shirt, tie, dockers and dark, comfortable athletic shoes worked (I've always had foot problems, so my shoes must be comfortable).

When I was in sports, the men's state amateur golf tournament was at a country club in our paper's coverage area. After taking care of office/deadline stuff on a Friday, I went to cover the end of the round of 16 because a local teen was playing. Well, he won on an amazing shot on the second playoff hole, so I had to stick around for the quarterfinal. Well, he won again, so I had to return Saturday morning, bright and early, with the dew still on the course. He won his semifinal match, so I had to stick around for the afternoon final, which the bugger won.

One little problem: There was a "no jeans" rule - standard for a country club - and I didn't have a pair of decent shorts. So, I had to wear Dockers while walking the course umpteen times. Oh, man - I was miserable even though I enjoyed covering the matches. I celebrated the end of each day with a huge bottle of Gatorade from a nearby gas station.

I didn't have time to buy a pair of shorts Friday evening because I had to work my second job.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to dress for work, if it is indoor, like I would go out for night in Vegas. Dress shirt not tucked in, dark jeans and dress shoes.

I'm not a fan of shorts under any circumstances. I'd rather have people wearing tee shirts than shorts. There are plenty of light-weight fabrics now that can keep you cool even in 100+ weather. I don't need to see your hairy legs.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I checked my pants this morning and they are polyester. Some people love jeans day, but I don't think they are more comfortable.

12. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

Some situations are appropriate for shorts, such as a late summer NFL training camp in searing heat and sweat-drenching humidity. I'd rather see hairy legs than a heat casualty.

As for the press box, a good pair of slacks, collared shirt and comfortable dress shoes.

Draft saved Draft deleted