1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proper attire for the press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TomVince123, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Used to work with a guy whose free T-shirts became a staple of his wardrobe. Even worse than his fashion sense -- he'd often pair the T-shirts, tucked in, with khakis -- was his hygiene. He wore the T-shirts well past their prime. Pit stains, sweat stains, food stains, whatever, he kept on rocking them.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I wore shirt and tie when I covered NFL.
    It was my boyhood dream come true and I wasn't going to look like a slob for it.
    That's just me.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I think I work with that guy now. And his two roommates.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

FYI, if you're covering a NASCAR race and planning on walking into the garage and/or pits, you can't wear shorts or open-toed shoes, even if it's 90 degrees outside.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One thing I do is avoid wearing the colors of either team.

6. No need for a tie for every event, but at least step up the attire on occasion. It won't kill anyone to wear nice pants/shoes, but it does make an impression, despite the naysayers who claim no one cares.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The commissioner appreciated the fact you wore a shirt.

The tie was optional, but it showed respect.

I have a tie with helmet pictures of NFL teams on it that I've worn to everything from NFL games to job interviews.

8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

If you're going to a private venue, check if there's a dress code. Most golf clubs have them -- no denim! collared shirts! -- and aren't those MLB rules still in effect?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/87550/

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

All good advice, but if you have a pair of nicer dark jeans, see if your boss is OK with that for anything below pro. Most jeans look a hell of a lot better than most pairs of khakis, in part because they're nicer and more expensive than khakis. You're at a CFB game in November, waiting on muddy sidelines, or God forbid you knock over your Diet Coke into your lap...jeans will have been the preferable choice.

I really don't get the hangup on khakis vs. jeans.

Don't wear shirts with stains. Seems obvious. But one day, you'll be mulling it over.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The courthouse I have to go to regularly, there is a rule that you can't have bare midriff, or be wearing shorts, in the court rooms themselves. However, it is posted outside of each court room and on the courthouse website, as opposed to that Utah case.

Re: the actual discussion on hand, I normally do khaki or a decent pair of cargo shorts if I'm going to be outside for a lot of the day. If it's something indoors, or a nicer outdoor event (graduation, political fundraiser), then I'll usually wear khakis or dress pants, with a polo or dress shirt.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They've backed off on the shorts if you have a hot pass. It's now okay,
    That said, I haven't seen worse fashion sense than in a NASCAR press box or infield media center.

Draft saved Draft deleted