1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proofreading gone wrong

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by littlehurt98, Aug 31, 2010.

1. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

My apologies if this has already been posted. I did a quick search and did not see anything. A friend sent me this link about how bad copy-editing has gotten.

Click the link and observe the headline at the bottom of the picture carefully.

http://deadspin.com/5626004/cardinals-website-doesnt-give-two-hits-about-copyediting

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who gives two shits about J.A. Happ?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Shouldn't he have gone before the game? Then twice?

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

A really good veteran copy editor (and a great guy, too) lost his job over this one.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Really?
    Did someone think he did it on purpose? How long was it up? Bad mistake, yeah, but that seems a bit harsh.

6. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

That's rather interesting. That does seem a bit harsh. I could understand being reprimanded for the mistake but losing a job does seem a bit much.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not really proofreading. More a typo if the copy editor has to manually type in a headline. I double-check when I write shutout.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Maybe he did.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I could've had a bad one a few years back when I typed in "Titus County" in a hedline and realized immediately I'd left the U out of Titus.

I got a pretty good laugh out of it.

10. sportsnick

sportsnick New Member

Hard to believe it was on purpose, hard to believe it was an accident -- because the same error was on two different headlines in two different places. Also, the headline on the story had the error.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's probably an automated process. The Twitter feed is, from what one of the links said.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No way that's an automated process. Too big of a site. You type it in through a CMS, and preview it before it goes up. As soon as someone catches it you can bring it down. Can't believe someone got fired over this. I know many of us take our jobs and duties very seriously, but listen, when a baseball copy editor makes a mistake like this nobody dies. No one ends up the hospital, nobody gets hurt. The world doesn't end.

Draft saved Draft deleted