1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof that Iraq has been an abject failure.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . by someone who should have been arrested for impersonating a man, a long time ago.

2. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

4. http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/08/halberstam200708

A final essay on Iraq by David Halberstam featured in the latest vanity fair.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I swear, that NEVER fails to make me laugh. Thanks chick for starting my day on a good note. :)

6. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Good read.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Outing alert: Junkie is Bob Ryan...

[​IMG]

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's humor through repetition. Not everyone's comedic cup of tea, to be sure.

If I remember things correctly, where George H.W. Bush came in for the greatest criticism was inciting the Kurds that now was the time to fight Saddam, then watching them get slaughtered. Not that he (not that he did it personally, of course) should have incited them in the first place. But at least Bush was smart enough, in his war for oil, to set a relatively small goal, and get world support for it.

And "Daddy didn't finish the job" isn't some knee-jerk criticism -- it's the core of the criticism by members of Bush's own cabinet who, as we know, were planning for an Iraq invasion from Day One.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Um, you needed this to prove Iraq has been a total disaster? I knew it was doomed to fail about thirty seconds into Bush's speech announcing that we were headed there and giving the reason why.....

10. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Whether the Iraq invasion is a failure doesn't matter anymore.
    It is, and even those who originally stood by it have now admitted it's fucked.
    What's more important now is how to peacefully resolve the violence and withdraw the US forces at the same time.
    In my opinion Bush's decision to go into Iraq was THE worst decision a US president has ever made.
    It was the top monumental screwup of all monumental screwups simply because there is not one viable solution to the number of problems it's created and people it's killed.
    Not to mention all the money that's been pissed down the drain.
    Whatever the US government does from here on out, it's going to get messy real quick.
    I don't envy the next president, that's for sure.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

But... but... but... Tony Snow stood at the podium today and said most of the goals were met.
    Goddamned liberal media.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Correction: Snow said some marks were achieved.

Draft saved Draft deleted