1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof that Iraq has been an abject failure.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jul 10, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Re: Proof that Iraq has been an abect failure.

Isn't the PM facing a no-confidence vote this week?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

By this point, the rationale, and the goal posts for success have moved so far, if they had started in Lambeau they'd now be on some cricket pitch in Cape Town, South Africa.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

That's what happens when you go in and invade, think it's going to be so easy that you have no idea what to do after and make it up as you go along.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This is what happens when you play RISK before making the decision to invade other countries.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This is what happens when daddy doesn't have the balls to finish the job and you decide to man up and defend the family name.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That, too.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So who's next, Irkutsk, Yakutsk or Kamchatka? Personally, I'd keep my eye on Madagascar. I don't trust them; I've never understood why till now.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I don't know, Slap...I always saw the logic in what you say, but, at a time when the UN meant something more than it does now, wasn't the coalition just supposed to kick the Iraqis out of Kuwait and be done with it?

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Ukrane is weak. Ask Cosmo Kramer.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The answers to two important questions may never be known -- Why did Saddam stop at the Saudi border? What was he waiting for? And why didn't the U.S. ignore Kuwait, seize Baghdad and wait for the Republican Guard to fold up shop?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Article 2 of UN resolution 678 is:
    2. Authorizes Member States co-operating with the Government of Kuwait, unless Iraq on or before 15 January 1991 fully implements, as set forth in paragraph 1 above, the above-mentioned resolutions, to use all necessary means to uphold and implement resolution 660 (1990) and all subsequent relevant resolutions and to restore international peace and security in the area
    The latter would have justified going in, especially after issues raised in UN 687...

http://www.fas.org/news/un/iraq/sres/sres0687.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted