1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof that I read the articles ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Googlaw, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

An excerpt from my February issue of Playboy:

"It's true that newspaper stocks are down, paid circulation is falling and advertisers have found new ways to reach consumers. But the crisis of the newspaper business is greatly exaggerated, especially by media companies with a vested interested in winning the right to buy new properties. Consider the inconvenient truth that newspaper companies earn profit margins that dwarf those in other industries. While a typical Fortune 500 company operates with profit margins near six percent, top newspaper chains have margins around 30 percent. Even "struggling" newspaper companies have profit margin in the high teens.

We've all heard about the crisis at the Los Angeles Times, where Tribune fired so many journalists that the paper's own publisher and editor protested publicly and refused to cut more, only to be forced out themselves. But we haven't heard that the Times continued to generate 20 percent profit margins during its so-called crisis. We haven't heard that that newspapers have better brand recognition, more affluent customers and more popular (and potentially more lucrative) websites than their competitors in most local markets. We haven't heard that the newspaper industry generated nearly $50 billion in revenue during 2005."

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

when did they start putting articles in playboy?

as for the suits crying about 20 percent profit? die, die, die!!!

3. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Here's my proof:
    Page 21.
    "Only 4% of female Cosmopolitan readers say penis size is the key to their sexual satisfaction. Thrusting technique came out on top, at 55%."

Draft saved Draft deleted