1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof that Democrats are weak on defense

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

http://www.rollcall.com/issues/1_1/latest_news/19154-1.html

Nine errors? C'mon, guys. Tom Werner and John Henry should send Pedroia and Lugo up to the Hill and put this group through some fielding drills.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can see game three right now.

WASHINGTON DC--Julio Lugo struck out four times--the last time with the bases loaded and the tying run at third base in the ninth inning--as the GOP completed a sweep of the Annual Roll Call championship with a 4-3 win.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

In fairness to Lugo, Curt Schilling probably taught Bob Bennett how to throw a wicked slurve.

4. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Heath Shuler was supposed to be the Democrats big star

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

C'mon. the guy can't even run to first base without hurting his foot.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nine errors? Who's in the infield -- Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi

7. They have to win something in the next 10 years.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

But the game was at RFK, where Heath's pro career went to die.

9. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/26/AR2007062602222.html

What happened? This was the year Democrats, energized by their new majority on Capitol Hill and the addition of several brawny freshmen, figured they'd finally recapture the trophy at Roll Call's annual Congressional Baseball Game. Instead, the Republicans beat them on Monday night at RFK, 5-2, for the seventh year in a row.

"We should have won 2-1," the team manager, Rep. Mike Doyle (Pa.), moaned yesterday. " Joe Baca [Calif.] pitched beautifully. But in the third inning we made five errors, and that was the ballgame right there. . . . It's one of those things that happen when you play once a year. I don't know what you say about it."

And how about the team's great hope -- former Redskin Heath Shuler (N.C.), who hit the ball out of the park in practice? Just didn't come together in the game. His hard shot down the third base line was stopped by a hustling Rep. Chip Pickering (R-Miss.); Shuler struck out his next two times at bat.

Any lessons for next year? Don't ask Doyle. "I'm starting with an 0 and 2 record," he said. "By next year, I could be fired as manager."

Draft saved Draft deleted