1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof that cheerleading is not a sport!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 20, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Dewey Decimal system classifies this under 791.64. 791 is reserved for "public performances". 796, 797, 798, and 799 are sports categories. The Library of Congress classifies it under LB3635. L is the education classification and LB is "Theory and practice of education". To get even more specific, the number after the LB means LoC categorizes the book under "School life. Student manners and customs". Sports falls under GV in the LoC classification; totally separate section.

[​IMG]

This does not mean you cannot write a good book about cheerleading, because this upcoming book (due out in March) is getting pretty good reviews (even if the one I am currently reading says toward the end, "and yes it is a sport" when CLEARLY libraries say it isn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm making a .pdf of this page to email to every cheerleader, cheerleading coach, cheerleading parent and pervert who demands more cheerleading coverage in my section.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You study the Dewey Decimal System often, do ya nerd boy?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Watch out, lest I become:

[​IMG]

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

They wrote a book about the week in which nobody submitted a poll?

The horror. The horror.

6. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Actually, SportsPredictor, a lot of the books on cheerleading in our district's school libraries are cataloged under 371.8 (370's being education within the 300-Social Sciences subject heading). Granted, the majority ARE in the 791 area. I say this because the cataloging is done through the cataloging services of major distributors like Follett, DeLaney, Gumdrop, etc.
    BTW, are you a Librarian? I am, and have been for 11 years. If you are, it is good to hear from a colleague.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The only proof I need came on a license plate frame. It read:

If Cheering were easy
    It would be a sport

and had cute little pom-poms and smiling faces adorning the frame.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One state high school sports organization actually put out an official memo declaring that it would not sanction cheerleading as a sport a few years back. One of the local sports editors I know printed it out and had it hung up in his office.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And I now have a new avatar

Draft saved Draft deleted