1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof of how hard it is to 'solo' sports talk radio...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Reuben Frank

Reuben Frank Member

Big Daddy is terrific. Funny as hell and just as energetic as before his absolutely courageous battle with cancer. A class act.

He'll have stretches for an hour with no calls, and he's as engaging, as interesting, as funny and as listenable -- if not more -- than if he had calls.

Actually, I would disagree strongly with this, ace

You don't need tons of interviews or even any interviews, and I don't think you need calls either to have engaging talk radio.

I've worked part-time at WIP in Philly since 1995, and probably 98 percent of my shifts have been solo. Personally, I prefer it.

I've worked over the years with everybody from Craig Carton, Sal Paolantonio and Steve Fredericks in the early days to Glen Macnow, Anthony Gargano and Hugh Douglas in recent years -- and probably about two dozen others along the way. Enjoy those shifts and interacting with those personalities, but when you work solo you're in charge, you steer the conversation, you don't worry about chemistry or stepping on your co-host's toes ... You just go.

And even those stretches where you don't get any calls, which happen occasionally, those are an opportunity, not an obstacle. If I have no calls on the board and my next break is six minutes away, I become a columnist -- I take a topic and an opinion (not always sports) but instead of writing 700 words, I just kind of conjure up 700 extemporaneous words as I go along ... structure them in my mind the way I'd structure a column ... present both sides ... riff on it for a bit ... Next thing you know, time for a break. And listeners have no clue you didn't have calls.

I believe -- and I know a lot of my colleagues do -- that those occasional stretches where it's just you and the mike are the most fun and the most challenging and the most listenable.

Think of it this way -- I don't think any of us as sports writers (covering the Eagles is my main gig) would want to write a column with a partner. If you're prepared and have a clear idea where you want to go with the show, you can absolutely do good radio solo. With or without calls.

My two cents.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Eskin's still there, but he's co-hosting afternoons now with Ike Reese.

3. Reuben Frank

Reuben Frank Member

It happens now and then. Holidays, very late at night, during very bad weather (and people aren't as inclined to call from their car).

Howard taught me years ago that during those stretches when you don't have calls the last thing you want to do is let listeners know that. You never mention it, you never act like you need calls ... you just continue the show and people will call.

And if you're really desperate ... just say the words Donovan McNabb and you'll have a full board within seconds!

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I certainly appreciate your insight. The local guys here solo, but they are often interacting with the producer or 20/20 breaks announcer and have a ton of guests, so it's not truly "flying solo."

It's been years since I've hosted a talk show solo with next-to-no callers, but it was not the easiest thing I've ever done. I do a 30-minute podcast solo, but I have very little "me" material -- it's mostly interviews and passing along information.

I actually don't mind doing play-by-play solo, although having a color person with me certainly helps fill some spots and the banter can get you through a slow spot (like an extended halftime).

Draft saved Draft deleted