1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Project Runway 2010

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jul 29, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

One can only hope.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Another solid Project Runway

So here's the question, is Michael C. a super secret douche bag and the producers are editing out his awfulness or are the other contestants just really terrible people?

I'm inclined to go with the latter. It is a little odd, typically in reality shows when everyone gangs up one person, that person is typically awful, but all the clips of Michael C. have shown him to be a little catty but not deserving of the hate slung his way.

I certainly don't think he had the best dress last night, but it was certainly better than some of the others out there.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think their awfulness springs out of the fact that they are "construction snobs." But you don't have to be a great constructionist to be a great designer. In fact, I would venture that most of the working fashion designers in New York don't know how to sew. Also, most don't know how to hand sketch. So much is done on the computer and sent to a seamstress, or more often, to the factory overseas.

Michael C. is a great artist with a wonderful sense of proportion and very good taste. The other designers are superior at finishing seams and draping a perfect 45% bias, and they are angry that he hasn't perfected those "design school" skills. But he does have amazing artistic abilities that many of them lack.

The problem for Michael C. will come if he can't do pants. I've never seen a contestant make it to the top 4 on this show who doesn't know how to do pants.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Are we still watching? After this last Jackie O challenge, they should have sent everyone home and started over next season. This is the most untalented cast ever.

btw, did anyone see the brief Tim Gunn story in People, where he talks about being asexual and without a relationship for the last 20 years (something like that, can't recall the specifics)? Made me a little sad.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I really like Tim Gunn. I wish they would show more of him on PR. I actually think he should be a judge. He's the Chief Creative Officer for Liz Claiborne Inc. so obviously he knows something.

The People magazine story was sad, especially the suicide attempt because he was gay.

The Jackie O epi was rough. I'm not convinced that the designers even know or recognized her contribution to fashion. I did love Mondo's outfit, although I don't ever see Jackie O actually wearing it.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You're right - hard to say who made top 3. It's either not a terribly talented crew, or the producers of this show have finally pushed the time constraints too far.

As of today, my top 3 would be Christopher, Michael Costello and regrettably, Gretchen.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Still watching, but a few days delayed thanks to the miracle of DVR.

The Jackie O challenge was a disaster, top to bottom. The designers don't seem especially talented or even very nice people, besides Peach, of course.

On the other hand, the 90 minute episodes have been a nice touch. Lots more drama.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Bump.

I was surprised with who went home. When the collections showed at Fashion Week, the Fug Girls (my favorite bloggers) wrote for NYmag.com that they thought he was possibly one of the finalists. They also had picked Valerie. So...they've got two of their four they thought were up for the final three spots left. :D

SPOILERS as in they make guesses, and there are pics of all the collections.

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2010/09/fugs_project_runway.html

Draft saved Draft deleted