1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prohibition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

FDR begged him to take the SEC job. Roosevelt knew that the best guy for that job was a guy who knew all the angles,
    and would be able to throw roadblocks in the way of the "mine, mine, mine" angleshooters -- not just another Wall Street handmaiden.

Could use that, today.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I turned on night one late and promptly fell asleep on the couch, but before I fell asleep, there was a brief mention of Joe Kennedy's father, P.J. Kennedy.

It was around the time they were talking about the breweries opening bars. They said how nearly anyone who agreed to serve a particular brewery's beer could open a bar.

Then, they talked about people distributing liquor and mentioned Kennedy and how he would build an empire that would lead to his grandson becoming President.

I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A summation of a speech Burns made about prohibition at the National Press Club. Where as he once never drank at all, Burns says he felt compelled to tip a few back while making this one.

http://press.org/news-multimedia/news/prohibition-hurt-america-documentarian-ken-burns-says

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Another thing histories of the 1920s leave out is the incredible popularity of the Ku Klux Klan, and not just in the south. The KKK was a huge supporter of Prohibition, and it many of the most powerful white men in their respective states to ensure it got passed and enforced.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Controversies/1107362364.html

The anti-immigration fears exploited and fomented by the KKK in the 1920s also have a lot to do with why we have such a thing called "illegal immigration." The 1920s weren't the first time legislation was passed restricting immigration (restrictions on the Chinese were enacted in the 1890s), but that was when the most sweeping legislation came through.

5. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

And brutally anti-Catholic Bob. Since support for Prohibition was also linked to anti-Catholic sentiment, this is unsurprising.

I always wondered if Catholic Al Smith (who was trounced by Hoover in the 1928 presidential election) would actually have won if he first ran against Hoover in 1932 instead of FDR.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Growing up in Indiana, I may have heard more of the history of that time than most, considering that the state elected a Klan-backed governor, a (long-dead) Indianapolis newspaper won a Pulitzer for exposing Klan links in politics, and the Klan's decline following the rape and murder conviction of Grand Dragon D.C. Stephenson. At least, I remember it being discussed in my high school history classes.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The Klan stuff and anti-immigration policies were discussed in the high school and college classes I had that covered the 20s.

Also, the eugenics movement played a major part in getting the immigration restrictions passed. Keeping out Chinese and Japanese immigrants was seen as a way to keep from "polluting" the gene pool in the U.S.

To add some more, Indiana was the first place in the world to have a eugenics-based compulsory sterilization act, in 1907. The Supreme Court eventually ruled in Buck v. Bell in 1927 that sterilizing those deemed as "unfit" is legal.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Was there a 20th-century major-party POTUS-nomination slot more valuable than '32 for the Dems?

Think not.

Talk about following the oblivious.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Kennedy, however, badly wanted to be secretary of the treasury instead.

10. 78 years ago today the 21st Amendment was passed ending Prohibition.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's a moment honored on a nearly daily basis by many of us!

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

To alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!

Draft saved Draft deleted