1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prohibition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

That Kennedy part was interesting. The copy I checked out had a cover mentioning the PBS series. I don't get any channels (including PBS) alas. Maybe on DVD.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yet it seems like it shouldn't have taken 12, 13 years for the ban to be overturned. Shouldn't it have dawned on the temperance people after a couple of years that if people wanted to drink, they should have been able to?

Not to mention, with the uproar of Prohibition, that enough people wouldn't have gotten pissed off that they voted out the temperance people and had Volstead overturned sooner.

I guess I still shake my head that something that was legal for 140+ years that wasn't directly harming anyone else's rights (I'm not referring to DUIs or family issues with alcoholism) would suddenly be taken away.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It's amazing that the amendment was concurrent to the dawning of the age of the automobile and yet had nothing to do with drunk driving. Seems like that would've been the best argument for prohibition.

Yet, they went with "Blame the Krauts!"

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's because it wasn't done through a criminal statute, but instead through Constititutional Amendment. Takes a lot longer than a couple years to garner and mobilize the political muscle to change the Constitution, regardless of how misguided one of its provisions might be.

And, no, I see no reason why the "temperance people" would come to that realization so fast. They'd finally attained the goal they'd devoted decades fighting tooth and nail for, you really think they were gonna promptly change their minds and admit it was all a big mistake after only a couple years?

5. Baron Scicluna

After enough people got shot and killed for a fucking drink, yeah.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Can usually pick a nit or two w/Burns (no E. Garner, in Jazz? Shoot me, now), but have to love his reach in snagging the appropriate film clips and stills. The series always look great.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Baron,

You really ought to watch the show and learn why it wasn't repealed sooner. It's not inexplicable.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Then I'd suggest that you're rather naive about both human nature and the political process if you think all that was gonna happen only a couple years in. In fact, one could actually argue that it's impressive that it was done in only 13 years. Do you know how many other times in American history a constitutional provision has been successfully repealed? Hell, the whole reason the temperance folks insisted on doing it constitutionally instead of by statute is they thought that would guarantee that it would never be repealed. Took 13 years, but they were proven wrong.

And do you know how many people have been "getting shot and killed" everyday for god knows how many years because of the legal status of other drugs like marijuana and cocaine (which were also long perfectly legal)? If 70 plus years of drug violence hasn't altered the position of marijuana criminalization proponents, not sure why you think only a couple years would've been enough to change the mind of all the booze banners.

9. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, it was the only amendment that has been repealed. And if you look at the other 25 amendments, they deal with rights and governing, not behaviors. Only one amendment dealt with behavoirs, and it got repealed.

As far as the other drugs go, sure, they were legal for plenty of years. They also weren't as plentiful, and were used by the wealthy. There was a class element to Prohibition as well. The saloon was seen as a place for the poor and the working class. The wealthy did their drinking in their mansions.

Oh and the Senate proposed the Volstead Act in Dec. 1917. It was ratified in Jan. 1919 and went into effect one year later:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. What's your point?

11. Baron Scicluna

You wrote about how long it took for an amendment to pass and become law, and how it was a big deal that it took 13 years for the 21st Amendment to pass. Volstead took 13 months to pass after being proposed, and was implemented a year later. Slightly more than two years.

So it could have been repealed sooner.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Wrong. You are misquoting me. I was not talking about how long it took "for an amendment to pass", instead I said that it took more than a couple years "to garner and mobilize the political muscle to change the Constitution." There is a HUGE difference in meaning there.

Are you somehow under the faulty impression that the prohibition effort began in December 1917 when a Senator up and out of nowhere decided to try to constitutionally ban alcohol? If so, then you sure as hell didn't watch this documentary last night. That moment was actually the culmination of a DECADES long prohibition crusade by temperance groups all across the country, including nationwide forced indoctrination campaigns of (future voting) schoolkids and orchestrated political campaigns to force out politicians who opposed prohibition and elect ones who supported it. Introduction of Volstead was something that did not occur until they'd finally gotten their political ducks lined up and built up the political clout to make prohibition feasible (with a nice boost from wartime anti-German hysteria) after decades of striving toward that goal. It was far closer to the end of the prohibition struggle than the beginning.

The idea that the other side could've simply turned around and re-amended the Constitution back the next day is painfully naive. Our political process has never worked that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted