1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prohibition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Anyone watch this tonight? It's Ken Burns' latest on PBS. I'm learning so much. School children all over the country were being taught that alcohol could lead to spontaneous combustion -- wow!

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, I've crashed and burned on many a Saturday night ...

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes, I was about to post a thread on the show but wasn't sure if might be showing just here in San Antonio on KLRN.
    Great show, which I was watching but am now recording for replay.
    San Francisco had the Barbary Coast, New Orleans had Storyville, Manhattan had its own (but I can't remember what they said it's name was). Seattle had Skids Road.
    Very cool doc.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Mid-town Tenderloin, denounced by its critics as Satan's Circus.

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

In the future, please deliver more specific detail in thread titles. I almost had a heart attack.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yeah, it was Tenderloin they mentioned.
    They showed a blueprint of the area of that spot, or I think it was Chicago's area, where they counted 154 whorehouses, X number of peep shows, X number of gambling halls, X number of saloons, etc, etc,

There was one guy that they said oversaw the entire expanse (Kenna was his name, I think).

It was an awesome set of statistics and a glaring, definitive snapshot of life in the big city during the days when the big cities were setting their roots.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They'll go into George Remus big-time, tonight . . . the biggest bootlegger no one ever heard of (unless, of course, you've seen the BBC's Prohibition series, which did an excellent job and profiled Remus, at length . . . )

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm with you. Bad times don't seem as bad as long as there's Bacardi.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I didn't see this but did watch Boardwalk Empire last night.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Fun book about that time in Chicago:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Sin-Second-City-Ministers-Playboys/dp/1400065305

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

It never really dawned on me how much of a role anti-German sentiment during World War I had with this becoming law.

Also, Carrie Nation was a total lunatic.

12. In Boston the area was known as Scollay Square. Just prior to the Revolutionary War British map-makers referred to the area as Mount Whoredom (City on a Hill indeed!)

Draft saved Draft deleted