1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Progressives question Obama's bona fides

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Dec 19, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, thanks, I think, Lyman. ;)

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Actually I may preserve a copy of this to remind me that you are not just Fenian's cheerleader. And I mean that in an affirming way regarding this post.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We've really been only talking about the retirement benefit.... But, even if you want to lump in all of the OASDI programs, this is an argument that just looks at ONE PIECE of the equation in a vacuum (presumably to make a flawed conclusion that you didn't actually state). Relative to their incomes, minorities, who typically earn less, also pay in a more onerous amount. A 12.4 percent payroll tax hurts someone earning $25,000 a year a hell of a lot more than it hurts someone earning $125,000 a year. Not that someone who earns $125K a year is paying 12.4 percent (in employer and employee contributions). He pays LESS than that, because it is a regressive tax -- the wage base is capped at $97,500. Anything earned beyond that doesn't get taxed. That means that someone earning $250K a year pays a much lower percentage of his earnings into the program than the poor schmuck struggling to earn $30K a year. This certainly hurts poor people the way I have been arguing.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Ragu, you're actually making me think with what you are laying out. Fen is fucking jealous. He was never a fact freak, resorting to using political ideologies to call someone's shit out.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As I said in my initial post on this matter, the SS tax ought not have an income cap.
    I'm guessing that a reason for the income cp is that benefits are capped. A person who made 90K per year receives the same monthly payment as a person who made 150K.
    Additionally, I don't think it's fair to say that the tax to the employee is 12.5% since it's a matching contribution, employer/employee. The employee would never see the employers contribution but for the existence of SS.

I still believe in lifting the cap and in making the SS tax more progressive at the lower income levels. And the fact that Obama and Clinton do not is disturbing.

6. Obama said he was open to it, to be fair.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The difference is Karl Rove was responsible for all of his own fucked-up thoughts. She has a team of people (not sure what to call them) creating these "strategies" for her. It's the difference between Darth Vadar and one of the Storm Troopers that runs into the firefight when the voice over the walkie talkie tells him to.

9. heyabbott

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21739271/

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You might be right, Ragu, but even so, isn't it a distinction without a difference?

I mean, fuck. You know? ;)

11. HRC is running a tough campaign.
    Karl Rove runs dishonest ones.
    I'm no fan of la Clinton, but, come on, zeke, you're headed into who-killed-Vince-Foster territory here.
    (And, just FYI, if Obama doesn't come up with a better answer to the "issue" of his middle name and where he went to grammar school, and for his own admission of doing the weed, all the bring-us-together stuff in thr world isn't going to help him.)

12. heyabbott

Just as long as his many brothers and sisters, his father's children by his other wives, don't jump up and start looking for attention, Obama won't have to worry about his middle name.

Draft saved Draft deleted