1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Progressives question Obama's bona fides

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Dec 19, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes. I am always wrong... especially when you attribute things to me I don't advocate (not sure if you were pinning the Republicans ridiculous forced-investment plan to me). Otherwise, I suppose that could have been just a general screed against capitalism in general, in which case I won't even bother responding.

That "most successful social-insurance program in history" is predicated on a lie. How successful can it be when it can't meet its obligations? By the late 1970s, it couldn't meet its obligations. So they changed the rules and basically told people what they had promised was all bullshit... oh well, too bad.

We are about to do that again.

That's real success for you.

And it is NOT insurance. Insurance collects premiums, invests the money and GUARANTEES you a future market-based return in return for your money today. Social security takes your money and immediately gives it to a current retiree, without any investment and without any guarantee (as demonstrated by its history) of any kind of return, let alone something that is market-based. It has been an abysmal failure.

Don't let the demonstrated history (higher taxes, lower payouts, and a coming crisis points in which we repeat the exercise and either increase taxes again or raise the retirement age to 120) convince you otherwise. Just declare me wrong, as always.

2. The Big Ragu

I am fairly libertarian--definitely when it comes to wealth and economics. Not sure where I'd fall on that chart. Definitely not authoritarian. And I am not sure what the left/right designations signify. I'm all over the place on non-economic issues. I'm posting on Anything Goes right now about how I am a vegetarian (vegan actually) for ethical reasons. I've posted over the last few days about how I am against the death penalty and I think it is barbaric. But I also get pissed off at people who don't take care of themselves and smoke and are overweight and drive up health care costs for everyone. I honestly don't know how that chart would sum me up. The chart might explode.

3. OK, just as when, repeatedly, you got your ass handed to you about the Canadian health-care system by real Canadians who knew what they were talking about, and did nothing but throw out unsupported asertions that they knew from experience were wrong, you're doing it again.
    The first mistake you make is to conflate an social insurance program with the way insurance companies work. But let us leave that aside for the moment. The second mistake you make is to fail to disentangle your argument about SS from the things that actually DO damage the US economy -- namely ruinous tax cuts for the wealthy. 20 years ago, that noted Ponzi liberal, Alan Greenspan, devised a plan to raise the payroll tax in order to create a trust-fund to pay SS benefits once the boomer generation began to retire. (This was in reaction to ruinous tax cuts for the well-off enacted by Ronald Reagan.) That tax increase was (perhaps) not quite large enough. In any event, the CBO estimated that the trust fund will not run out until 2052 and even then, 81 percent of the benefits will still be paid out. That same report said that the system can extend into the 22nd century with additional revenues equal to .54 percent of the GDP.
    The third mistake you make is believing that repeating something makes it a fact. We once had a system of retirement savings that was totally market-based. Old people died like cordwood. And even you should know that private accounts mean privatization. I covered the 1983 debate and that's the word people used. The Frank Luntz focus-grouped it and found it was aloser so they stopped using it. But private accounts gut SS from the inside. That's why people who want to do away with the program for ideological reasons -- which is most of them-- since the numbers do not support their case, approve of them.

4. The Big Ragu

Whatever. The thread is still there. Anyone can go read me "getting my ass handed to me." (or as the many PMs I was getting put it, you and someone else showing the worst of yourselves). My posts speak for themselves, because I supported everything I had to say with easy-to-verify fact. Sorry you couldn't handle it and had to just resort to smug condescension.

And this is not an argument about tax cuts. It is a discussion of social security. It's Fenian Bastard's only mode of argument. You can't respond to the substance of what the person has to say, so reframe the argument into something completely different and run a smoke screen. That way steroids in baseball can be all about Bush trampling on our civil liberties. And social security can be about Bush's tax cuts.

The rest of what you said argues for a Nanny society in which people are too dumb to manage their own wealth. Agree to disagree. We actually fought for our independence over somewhat similar issues.

Sorry, man. I have no desire to play the game anymore. I respond seriously, and you ignore irrefutable fact and give me ideology. It's tiresome.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

By the way, you might want to fact check this conservative myth. It has be debunked over and over again. The truth is, when you take out infant/child deaths, black life spans are roughly equal to white ones. Why take out infant/child deaths? Because children do not pay into social security.

DOJ voting rights chief John Tanner tried to use the same exaggeration recently and got smacked down hard.

6. Zeke, I don't agree with most of your politics, and no way am I going to vote for Obama, but you make a lot of good points here. Righteous post.

7. Anybody who finds "substance" within yet again another endless parade of mindless political tropes -- "Nanny society"? Wow. Make that up yourself, did you? -- gets a cookie. You don't present "irrefutable fact," you present assertions, and mostly hysterical (Ponzi schemes!) ones. And, if you seriously believe that massive tax cuts don't have a serious effect on the entire federal budget structure, you proibably should go away for a while. And read some more.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

But Fen, I just heard our president say that tax cuts equal more tax revenue??? Hell, that con job ought to be on Snopes by now. Even Alan Greenspan says its totally bogus.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

While Alan Greenspan knows more about economics that I could ever dream to understand, he isn't perfect and he shouldn't be the person that decisions be based around. It isn't like he wasn't aware of the oncoming subprime problem. The man chose to ignore it.

Throw in the volatility of the dollar and how the politics played with it, by this president and most likely future presidents, and why should we trust that creating a fund would automatically grow? Historically it has. However, there is no given that it will continue. As we watch the rise in China, the fall in Russia and the craziness in Pakistan, who is to say that Wall Street can sustain?

10. The Big Ragu

Something I am aware of... And it was not presented as a "conservative" myth. I have no idea what a conservative is the way people use it on this board... I'm speaking for myself, not some movement...

Infant mortality rates are higher among blacks, but please take a close look at the numbers. The infant mortality rate is ONE factor, and it doesn't entirely account for the fact that whites outlive blacks by 10 to 15 years on average. It's PART of the reason. Not nearly all of it. Blacks are victims of homocide, death from AIDs and even deaths from motor vehicle accidents (honestly) at much higher levels than whites. They fall victim to older-age diseases, such as stroke and diabetes at higher rates than whites. I know you really want to argue this in absolutes, but it isn't that simple. There is truth in what you said, just as I stated my argument without getting into the specifics of life expectancy rates that you did, so it may have come off as an overstatement. There is still truth in what I said. The program does screw minorities relative to non-minorities, the way I claimed, because of two major reasons: 1) Minorities are typically poorer, so those payroll taxes they hand over are felt more by them, and 2) If you look at SS statistics, minorities don't collect benefits as long as non-minorities (because they don't live as long), and therefore get less back relative to what they have paid in. The difference in infant mortality rates are not nearly the entire cause of this--the actual payout statistics from SS bear this out.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Big business breeds lobbyists and indeed, they will control everything, including SS decisions, until someone with a people's viewpoint counters it. Corporate power bases spin everything, including to a large extent how news is delivered in tone and context.
    If there would be anything that would "make" me vote Democrat, a person with an absolute commitment to this which would certainly bring about bitter confrontation (and that president would have to have the inner circle support and personal strength to combat him) could get my vote. But my long-held belief, with plenty of evidence, says 99 percent of Democrats give lip-service to this only. I'm allowing 1 percent for the purpose of hope.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The mortality rate to look at is of those who reach retirement age, is there a disparity is longevity.

And are we only talking about regular Social Security payments or SSI which is awarded regardless of age based on a disability? I think minorities receive SSI payments disproportionate to their population representation.

Draft saved Draft deleted