1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Progressive lenses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tucsondriver, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I've been getting by fine with contacts for about 10 years, but no more. I'm nearsighted and one of the toughest scenarios is covering games and going from my computer screen to live action and back to my computer screen. My eye doctor suggests progressive lenses as a possible solution, albeit imperfect. Multifocal contacts are a possibility too but those are harder to adjust to from what I understand.

Anybody out there have any luck with progressives, or are they just a migraine waiting to happen?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I've got them. About 2 1/2 years now. You get used to them quickly but watching tv in any position other than sitting straight up is difficult

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Got them a few weeks ago. Tough getting used to, but once you get the knack of them, the improved close reading has been a godsend

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I did well with progressive lenses.

Over the past few years, an even better form of progressives known as individuals have come out. They have a wider sweet spot (sharp field of view). They work well for me for close (computer monitor) and medium (TV) distances. I have to point my head a bit more for sharpness for distance vision like driving. Otherwise they are pretty good.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've had progressives for a while and had no trouble adjusting. Mind you, I'd been wearing reading classes and looking over the tops of them for distance for some time so it wasn't that tough an adjustment.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've had them for several years. Every time I get a new prescription I feel like I'm going to fall face-first for a day or so.

I like them, especially for that near/far/near sort of scenario that you mentioned.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Had the bifocals for 2-3 years where you had to basically know where the spot is for the up-closing reading and such, then above that and pretty much the rest of the glasses were for far-away viewing. Was pretty frustrating, to the point where I'd only wear them when I had a headache.

Splurged a few weeks back for some progressives, and went with the Zeiss progressive lenses - the same Zeiss that made a buck or two in the camera lens business. The progressive areas are huge, and there's no searching around for the different spots. Unbelievable quality and you can't get them off my face now. Feels like I can see the way I did when I was 20-20 as a kid.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Wanted to keep wearing contacts but couldn't, and then I lost track of how many pairs of reading glasses I lost. Now it's full-time glasses, which is often a pain when I'm on the treadmill or out for a run.

Don't ever get old.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've had progressive bifocals for about eight years. I had no trouble transitioning to them - no headaches - and it took about 10 minutes to figure out where to look. For me, it really was no big deal at all.

10. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Probably needed them for a long time, couldn't bring myself to do it. Vanity, not wanting to admit I was getting "old", whatever. Got into a pair about 6 months ago (after turning 50 & making the decision to just get over myself), could kick myself for waiting. Needed to return to the Dr. for a slight adjustment, but was used to them in about 2 days. Only issue is exactly what Yab mentioned, re: head position & watching TV.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I'll be the dissenting voice here. Have 'em and hate 'em, have pretty much given up wearing them. I never should have listened to the doctor.

Draft saved Draft deleted