1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ProfootballTalk.com's Mike Florio, Gerald Poindexter & Mike Vick -- *Updated*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: ProfootballTalk's Florio seeks to overturn Surry County electorate in Vick case

Rok contradicted himself!?! I'm shocked by that revelation! Shocked!

Of course, by covering all the bases now if SI, ESPN or anybody else on the planet either gives PFT props or rips PFT then Rok can claim he's influencing the debate with his takes.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: ProfootballTalk.com's Mike Florio, Gerald Poindexter & Mike Vick -- *Updated

Here's another source which seems to have had their fill of ProFootballTalk.com's Mike Florio's double standards when it comes to criticizing other media members for their mistakes and what he deems their incomplete apologies versus how he handles his own gaffes (note: I have no connection whatsoever with "footballforbreakfast.com")(emphasis mine):

http://www.footballforbreakfast.com/Fourth-and-Long-100307.html

The Joe Pisarcik-Emily Littela Award

ProFootballTalk.com is without a doubt one of the top pro football sites on the Web. It has broken numerous stories over the years and claims to be frequented by a larger number of football insiders. But they also get a lot of things wrong such as famously reporting that Terry Bradshaw had been killed in a car accident this past January.

So on Tuesday, September 25, self-proclaimed PFT Grand Poobah Mike Florio excoriates Surry County prosecutor Gerald Poindexter for not knowing exactly what was presented to the Virginia grand jury handling the state Michael Vick investigation. Florio then 'publicly' calls for the Virginia Attorney General to relieve Poindexter of his duties over this lack of competence and urges Virginians to vote Poindexter out of office if the Attorney General refuses to fire him.

The only problem is that in Virginia, prosecutors are not allowed in the grand jury room.

D'oh!

The next day, Florio admits his earlier comments were inaccurate, but states, "...Poindexter would have been wise to make it clear to the reporters who accosted him on Tuesday that, by law, he can't be in the room at all..."

Wow.

Florio delights in pointing out the media's every error, mocking them when they get a report wrong. And then assailing them when they don't apologize to his satisfaction.

So what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Mike, when you use a virtual soapbox to get up on your high horse and 'publicly' proclaim that someone should be fired, make sure you get your facts straight.

And if you happened to be wrong after such a public declaration, get off your high horse, step down from your soapbox and admit, unabashedly, that YOU WERE WRONG. Don't blame someone else for not correcting your error before you made it.

- - -

You see, Florio wants it all ways. He likes to rip the "real media," even though he is one of them now. Yes, like Simmons, he is at his heart a blogger, I know. But like William, he is now -- however tangentially -- affiliated with several major media entities. And as such, it's uncertain why Florio feels it is acceptable for him to rip others for the same practices he himself engages in. It seems as though Florio has an identity crisis -- is he an "outsider" or an "insider," blogger or "real media" member?

Whatever he is -- or whatever he feels he is -- there is no question that the "Mike Florio as Michelangelo's 'Blogger David'" sculpture remains innumerable hammer strikes to the chisel away.

Hope you catch that one, Slate.

3. Inky_Wretch

What has changed between then ...

... and now?

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: ProfootballTalk.com's Mike Florio, Gerald Poindexter & Mike Vick -- *Updated

Do you want me to just repost reply #15 on this thread, or will that post be sufficient for you, I-Dub?

And, to paraphrase Allen Iverson: I was talking about blogs -- not a news site, not a news site. Blogs.

5. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

And if *I* could paraphrase Dan Hawkins for moment...

THIS IS BIG XII FOOTBALL! THIS AIN'T INTRAMURALS, BROTHER!

6. Inky_Wretch

Rok, could I get a synopsis in 100 words or less and without the bolded text?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Rok's explanation of his flip-flopping of PFT:

Ironically, PFT has been doing the exact same thing ever since it's been around. The only difference between Rok slurping on it a month ago and hating on it now is the Poindexter thing. So Rok must have been new to the blog and been duped, then "kicked the tires" for awhile until he found a defect.

8. IU90

IU90 Member

Or, for that matter, from just a bit earlier today in this exact same thread:

And now:

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Here's a site which picked-up on Florio's unflattering nickname for Byron Leftwich:

http://sportsedge.vip.com/archives/2006/11/nfl_week_9_pick.html

Tennessee (+9.5) at Jacksonville: Considered picking Jacksonville. Jacksonville is coming off an impressive road win at Philadelphia. It was their first win away from home this year, and they did it with David Garrard at quarterback instead of Byron Leftwich, aka “Fat Albert” according to profootballtalk.com. The Jaguars are 3-0 straight up, and ATS, at home this year.

10. IU90

IU90 Member

Rok, just how many sports blogs/sites/talk shows do you consume every day? I don't know where you find the time to conduct your independent investigation to uncover the full sordid truth behind the Belichick scandal.

11. This is priceless. Great job TSP.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

A lot. It's part of one of my jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted