1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ProfootballTalk.com's Mike Florio, Gerald Poindexter & Mike Vick -- *Updated*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Sep 26, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

(Note: The underlined blue type contained in the quoted material are not live links but merely meant to show where Florio had placed live links)

Unreal. I can't believe what I just read.

Link:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Entry: POSTED 10:00 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 10:40 a.m. EDT, September 26, 2007

"MARTIN PLAYS THE MUNSON CARD"

On Wednesday, we called out ESPN.com legal analyst Lester Munson for recklessly floating the notion that the Virginia charges to be pursued against Mike Vick unfairly duplicate the federal crime to which he has pleaded guilty.

Though Munson has since corrected himself, Vick's lawyer, Billy Martin, is echoing Munson's flawed contention that Vick is now being charged for the same crime that he faced in federal court.

On Wednesday {Thread author's note: Florio actually means "Tuesday," but he's been spending a bit less time lately editing and a bit more time writing/hyperventilating/thinking of his next bathroom-humor joke, it would seem. It is the type of error for which Florio happily would take a shot at say, Len Pasquarelli for committing. Len, you owe me one the next time we're both back in Pittsburgh at the same time.}, Martin said that he plans to "aggressively protect [Vick's] rights to ensure that he is not held accountable for the same conduct twice." In a statement, Martin also said, "We are disappointed that these charges were filed in Surry County since it is the same conduct covered by the federal indictment."

But it's not the same conduct. Vick was charged only with conspiring to violate federal laws against interstate gambling and interstate dog fighting. He was not charged with Virginia laws against gambling, dog fighting, or animal cruelty, and he was not charged with interstate gambling or interstate dog fighting.

Indeed, the reference in the federal action to the killing of dogs was completely irrelevant to the charges Vick and his cohorts faced. They were never charged with killing or conspiring to kill dogs. Unfortunately, however, a grand jury in Surry County, Virginia has opted to ignore the admissions of Vick, Purnell Peace, and Quanis Phillips that they had killed the dogs, refusing to indict them for animal cruelty. Thus, to the extent that there is any argument to be made that the state charges in any way duplicate the federal charges, and if a judge in Virginia agrees with Martin's argument, Vick could avoid any and all responsibility for the clear, admitted violations of Virginia law that were unrelated to the federal charges to which he pleaded guilty.

The whole thing makes us even more curious as to whether Surry County prosecutor Gerald Poindexter took a dive on the animal cruelty charges. And we're even more convinced that Virginia attorney general Bob McDonnell should take over the investigation and prosecution.

If you agree with us, let McDonnell hear about it directly.
    [Thread author's note: this last link leads to the email address "mcdonnell.oag.state.va.us," presumably the email of the aforementioned Virginia Attorney General Bob McDonnell]
    - - - - - -

ProFootballTalk.com's founder, editor and chief blogger, Mike Florio, wants his readership to help him oust Surry County, Virginia prosecutor Gerald Poindexter from the Mike Vick case.

He is asking his readers to write emails to Virginia's State Attorney General Bob McDonnell in support of Florio's position seeking to take Gerald Poindexter off of the Vick case. Florio - in a change of heart from yesterday when he 'merely' said he would urge Virginia voters to not vote for Poindexter's re-election - now must feel the stakes are too high for him and his site to allow Poindexter's continuance as the prosecutor of the case.

One problem, Mike: County prosecutors are elected to office, and I don't think the locals -- or the Attorney General, for that matter -- are going to take too kindly to an out-of-stater's meddling with the results of their election. They elected Poindexter, not you. Any Attorney General who will one day seek higher office or re-election isn't going to want to be tarred with having sought to overturn the will of the electorate because an NFL blogger told him to do so. Expect McDonnell to see-through and rebuff Florio's PR stunt. PFT isn't Daily Kos or any other politically-influential blog, and it would appear Florio has wandered a bit from his, er, 'jurisdiction.' In fact, if Vick attorney Billy Martin were to catch wind of Florio's meddling in his client's legal case, Martin would likely use it to his client's advantage, one way or another. So not only is Florio, IMO, not likely to achieve his aims, he is more likely than not to help work against them.

Context: According to Florio's own writings, the traffic on his site has nearly doubled in the past year. Much of that new traffic, I have read, can be attributed to Florio's comprehensive presentation of the Vick case.

Though Florio has straddled the line in his coverage of the Vick case between reportage and advocacy some would say, never has he directly sought to influence the course of the Vick litigation. It would seem Florio is eager to once again propel his and his site's self-interest on the back of Mike Vick's well-worn back.

In journalist-speak, Florio has now squarely crossed the Rubicon which divides "reporting the story" and "becoming part of the story." Some say he tread that water long ago, but now there can be no doubt. One wonders what his new bosses at SportingNews.com will feel about their new hire boldly striking out in this advocacy direction, not to mention the various radio outlets (including Fox Sports Radio) which use Florio for weekly spots. Florio also, I believe, has boasted of having direct ties/support/influence with the NFL league office itself. I'm quite sure Commissioner Goodell will be happy to see Florio exercising his free speech so...responsibly...and in such a non-inflammatory way which could in no way make the league look bad if it had even unofficial ties with him. ::)

So the man who feels perfectly ok with allowing Belicheat* to avoid full contrition, disclosure and possible sanctions now seems willing to put whatever journalistic 'bona fides' he may have possessed aside because he -- and his site -- are not satisfied with the actions of the voter-elected Poindexter in a jurisdiction which he does not vote in? All so he can make sure that Micheal Vick -- the man who apparently doubled the traffic on Florio's site -- gets the full weight of the law down upon him? The same Michael Vick who is awaiting federal sentencing and jail time? The same Michael Vick that is on indefinite suspension from the NFL? Um, Mike Florio, is Mike Vick getting any royalties or cut of your site's advertising fees? I sure hope so, as much as he seems to have helped its growth.

Yet Belicheat* -- the guy who has missed ZERO games based on his direct assault on the integrity of the NFL and its new commissioner -- is ok to go from the principal's office now, in Florio's eyes, even though the public and NFL fans don't even know the extent of Belicheat*'s transgressions beyond that he is a multiple offender?

Hmmmm. Interesting choice of resources allocation by PFT. Well, one way or another, any journalistic pretensions are irrevocably out the window with this Howard Stern move by Florio -- Mike, I (actually, you) brand thee (yourself) 'blogger/advocate,' never again to be confused with the 'real' media you so gleefully deride. Or, if you prefer, the phrase "hack" could serve as your Scarlet Letter.

If I didn't know better, I'd conclude that Belicheat* and Spygate just don't "bring the hits," as it were, like an apparently-not-emasculated-enough NFL quarterback does for Florio's site. How else to explain the "morning-FM-shock-jock PR stunt" Florio is attempting to pull against the lawfully-elected prosecutor of Surry County, the Attorney General of Virginia, and the numerous voters of Surry County itself?

Maybe I'm just being too cynical. Maybe Florio really is concerned for the law being enforced to its maximum possible extent in all cases, not just the case of the guy who doubled his site's traffic.

Oh, right: Belicheat*. Some laws and bylaws are more important than others, it would seem, to the attorney from West Virginia.

Gotta have those site hits.

PS to Slate: You might want to think about running an update to that flattering portrayal of Florio and his site after this episode. Just a thought.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: ProfootballTalk's Florio seeks to overturn Surry County electorate in Vick case

Get. A. Hobby.

3. Re: ProfootballTalk's Florio seeks to overturn Surry County electorate in Vick case

Or. A. Life.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: ProfootballTalk's Florio seeks to overturn Surry County electorate in Vick case

Ditto.

5. Re: ProfootballTalk's Florio seeks to overturn Surry County electorate in Vick case

Dude needs to start his own blog, instead of treating this place like one.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Putting a link out rather than copy + paste would have save space.

Think of the kids!!!

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Florio's got some good stuff from time to time, but he's so damn full of himself it's increasingly hard to take him seriously.

Some of his stuff is irresponsible. He floated an item last year saying it was nearly a given Gibbs would leave the Redskins to focus on his NASCAR team, since Tony Stewart had just missed the Chase. I e-mailed to ask how that would work. Gibbs' presence in Charlotte wouldn't mean a thing one way or another; he's not building engines or chassis or driving the car. JD's got a firm hand on everything, how on earth would Stewart drive any better if Gibbs quit the Redskins? Never heard back from him, never saw any sort of follow-up.

So, for me, his credibility's shot. Now I just see he's an asshole.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Florio always has been a standing joke.

I had personal issues with this boy several years ago.

Just another fat guy masquerading as an "expert," except Florio punches that with his law pedigree.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And except that he's not fat.

Even more hilarious -- RokSki calling PFT the best NFL blog on the net not even a month ago:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1370600/

10. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Bahah!!! Nice find, TSP.

11. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

That blog is a lying dictatorship. It's not interactive - therefore its worthless. Just some unimportant hack with no life rambling on and on about men he's jealous of.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

duck and cover, another senseless rant from SportsJournalists.com's resident troll.

Draft saved Draft deleted