1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Profiles in arrogance: the 1972 Dolphins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That, and Kuechenberg being an insufferable jackass.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I guess you could condemn almost any team by the arrogance of a couple of players.
    The Dolphins of that era were known for their hard work and their quiet determination.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That last line sounds like you got it from something produced by NFL Films.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

John Facenda would be proud.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess it does. But a lot of those Dolphins were around for Shula's four-a-days.

6. Steak Snabler

Don't get me started on the myth of Don Shula. In six Super Bowls (Colts & Dolphins), his teams scored a TOTAL of two second-half touchdowns.

And that includes the two Super Bowls the Dolphins won.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Holy shit. Well done (no pun intended).

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What SHOULD have happened, about 35 years ago, was that at some point some jock, when the handshake line worked its way around to him, stood up and said, "I am sorry Mr. President, but you and your administration are a complete disgrace and disaster for this nation."

Then, leaving the POTUS standing there with his hand hanging in the air and his mouth agape, wheeled on his heels (very theatrically to be sure to turn his back straight on the POTUS for photo op purposes), and marched straight out the door.

That would have utterly ensured,

1) The end of these idiot pony parades forever, and

2) The jock who did it would spend the rest of his or her life as one of the most famous athletes in the U.S., mentioned in history books, etc etc.

Of course, it could still happen.

Hey Kutchie, you want attention? That would be the perfect way to get it. Tim Thomas, big boy? You missed your chance.

9. Steak Snabler

Yeah, it's not like no one ever made a scene at one of these things ...

[​IMG]

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Lighten up Steak baby.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mike Royko had a great column on Riggins/ O'Connor. Thankfully I cut column out and saved. Sadly I can't find a link to paste here, but some of the great lines from "Whom Can An Old Sport Look Up To?

"After quenching his thirst several times over the evening, Riggins apparently observed that
    Justice O'Connor was either shy, reserved or did not appear as festive as the others"

"A little later when the speeches began Riggins became drowsy. That's natural. Go to any
    dinner where political speeches are made and half the audience starts dropping off. So Riggins flopped down on the floor, with his head under the table and went to sleep"

"All Riggins did when he fell asleep was make an honest statement. And who knows, maybe this will start a trend. Maybe others will follow Riggins example and when politicians insist on babbling at them will topple out of their chair and begin snoring.I've
    been Rigginsed politicians would cry."

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2506&dat=19850212&id=AoZJAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5gsNAAAAIBAJ&pg=2490,4010320

Draft saved Draft deleted