1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Profiles in arrogance: the 1972 Dolphins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Those guys are all grown men. I would like to think at this point they have moved
    beyond what the "ole" ball coach thinks and can think for themselves.

That team kind of contradicts the prevailing thought that all NFL retirees
    are broken down. For the most part they have been in good health
    and many have lead successful post football careers.

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Mark Chmura refused to go to the White House to visit Bill Clinton with his team after the Packers' '96 Super Bowl win and cited the Monica Lewinski scandal as one of the reasons. "It doesn't really say much for society and the morals (Clinton) sets forth for our children." Three years later, of course, Chmura was post-prom hot-tub partying with teenage girls.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Shula was there. I think the guys who didn't go were only spiting themselves. What were they protesting? Our Egypt policy? Health care law? No, my guess is they just don't like to pay taxes. There's a noble cause.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

maybe it conflicted with a Klan meeting or they were going to beat some fags

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They already did it. I think it was yesterday or the day before. Shula was there. It was his first trip to the White House. They had a good turnout from the team, despite the guys who didn't show up. I don't get it. I'd love a chance to go to the white house and hang out with the president. How many times in your life do you get an invitation like that?

EDIT: I dunno why, but I also chuckled when I read that Howard Schnellenberger (assistant coach) was there. He just cracks me up. I am trying to picture him and President Obama hanging out.

6. Took place yesterday.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2013/08/20/president-obama-honors-1973-super-bowl-champion-miami-dolphins

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This is a clear way of connecting not with the meathead athlete, but the constituency that reveres him.
    You should be able to spot this. It's perfectly transparent.
    "Hey, rabble, look, we're sporting men too!"

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with players skipping a WH visit. It says more about them than whatever President they are "snubbing." My problem with this though is that it was a specially arranged visit, someone went through the trouble to put this together on the 40th anniversary, wouldn't you have enough respect for your fellow teammates and the organization, perhaps a few people that aren't alive anymore to put your political differences aside for a few hours?

But then again, these are the asshat '72 Dolphins who show up with their champagne if a team starts 10-0. Get over yourselves.

The odd thing is, I don't think they "missed" a WH visit after the SB. I didn't think the practice started until Reagan when the locker room phone call thing went sideways when he started talking nukes with Marcus Allen.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Chmura had exceptional foresight then, because Lewinsky happened in January 1998.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Some urban legends never die.

A one-time gathering by a couple of players who lived four houses apart, and people still think it's some kind of team ritual that goes on every year.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Every year the story gets twisted a little more.
    Most of the '72 Dolphins don't crow about the record.
    Most of them are waiting to applaud another undefeated team.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Doesn't that whole thing essentially boil down to Mercury Morris wanting to be on TV?

Draft saved Draft deleted