1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Profiles in arrogance: the 1972 Dolphins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Jim Langer, Bob Kuechenberg and Manny Fernandez decide to skip White House visit honoring 1972 Dolphins, who missed their original trip due to Watergate.

Damn I wish someone, anyone, would go undefeated, just so these sonsabitches will STFU.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-08-17/sports/fl-dave-hyde-white-house-dolphins-0818-20130817_1_white-house-president-obama-bob-kuechenberg

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't care if you can't stand the guy in office, meeting the president should be an honor.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If only they could have gone the first time and shook President Nixon's hand.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It looks like they had a large contingent for a 40-year-old team.

I could see skipping a photo-op with a dictator, but with an elected President you disagree with? What do you prove?

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

You prove that you are an asshole

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For the zillionth time, these jock pagaents at the WH need. to be ENDED. The president. should and does have better things to do.

Our society is overobsessed with sports and the president shouldn't participate in that fixation.

Much less a team from 40 years ago. Give me a fucking break.

As far as the players boycotting, good for them. The president is a public employee, not a demi-god.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The 1972 Miami Dolphins. We just can't rid ourselves of these motherfuckers, can we?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is exactly correct. All of it.

Well, except for the misspelling and the superfluous periods.

Damn, Starman, you and I are like twins or something.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That you don't want to be part of a politician's dog-and-pony show?

10. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I blame David Tyree for failing to let us turn the lights out on these clowns.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's the thing. Every President is two Presidents. One is the elected political leader of the country, who is fair game for any and all opposition. The other is the ceremonial head of state, who does crap like this because we don't have a monarchy to fob it off on. Boycotting ceremonies is about as pointless a political act as there can be. It's not like Obama cares.
    Point of history: Wasn't Nixon the President who started these sports team White House ceremonies? Now it's a tradition no President can get rid of, because fans of whatever team is the first to win a title that doesn't get a Rose Garden visit will raise holy hell.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Langer and Fernandez, but in the quotes I've read and sound bites I've seen of him on TV, Kuechenberg has always struck me as an arrogant ass. The best example was the special they did on the classic Chargers-Dolphins playoff game, when he mocked Kellen Winslow for being helped off the field after the game.

That said, I agree that the whole champions at the White House visits have gotten pretty tired. Problem is, every president know if he's the one who stops it, a lot of sports fans will be pissed. (Mr. Gee's already made that point, I see.)

Oh, and Michael, I'm not sure, but I think I remember these photo ops really started picking up when Reagan took over.

Draft saved Draft deleted