1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Profile without Interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gradysmith, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

At the same time, that approach only works for a specific type of source. It's either a "Where are they now?" or, as Wright Thompson pulled off, a "Where are they now?"

2. gradysmith

gradysmith New Member

Should I pitch before I contact the former player? Or contact the former player and found out if he would be interested in an interview, and, if he is, then pitch?

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It really depends where you're pitching the story. A lot of newspapers would be far more interested in the story if it could be pegged as an interview, which is unfortunately the way a lot of newspaper executives think. A magazine might be interested either way.

4. gradysmith

gradysmith New Member

I'm shooting for magazines.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Seems to me like you're excited about the story idea, but don't have the gumption to face the subject of your story directly. Correct me if I'm wrong.

6. I've found some of my best profiles or features have been on people who either wouldn't or couldn't talk to me. It's kind of a fun challenge, and once you have to do a few this way, you really start to see how getting to interview the subject may have been a crutch because you wouldn't have had to research so much or contact so many other people.

Draft saved Draft deleted