1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professors say today's college kids really ARE dumber and lazier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 16, 2011.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

And sorry for the triple post, but w/r/t to the hours studying, it seems like technology plays a huge role. The amount of reading is one thing, but computers make students much more efficient. Think about how much time students save by finding academic sources in online databases, composing documents in word processors, etc.

Plus, students are more likely to be involved in extracurricular activities. You can laugh these off as "resume builders"-and, in some cases, that's true-but there are many students that dedicate plenty of time to their organizations. Although not "school", that sort of experience certainly provides an education.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would argue very strenuously with the notion that computers make kids more efficient. In my experience, "two hours of homework" can mean "30 minutes of homework, some online chat and a spin through the iTunes store."

Of course, that's often what "two hours of work" means for me these days, so maybe I'm projecting.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

This actually reminded me of something else tangentially related:

Some of the work assigned today really is harder than what was assigned in the past, to adjust for improving student quality. Harvard Law School just released about 100 years of law school exams. The ones given today are exponentially more difficult-actually requiring analysis rather than memorization-than old ones. I don't know if that's the case in undergrad, but I'd assume it is at most law school.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If today's college students are dumber, doesn't it mean that the next generation of professors is going to be dumber than the current one, since today's college students are tomorrow's PhDs?

And if the dumbing down of students, and subsequently professors, has been progressive, is it possible that the two professors who did this study are dumber and lazier than the two professors who studied the critical-thinking skills of students before them, and thus, we can't trust the conclusions of their study?

Has anyone studied THAT?

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Agreed, and I'd add critical thinking to that list. It's a natural by-product of trying to emulate countries like South Korea, China, Singapore, etc. and their test scores, though. If all you ever learn is what your teachers pass on to you and don't ask questions of your own, it's difficult to surpass them and build upon that knowledge.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just as when I was an undergrad, there are some really good students and there are some really dumb/lazy ones. In today's environment, however, the really dumb/lazy ones have just as much of a voice (maybe even more) as the really good ones in influencing who winds up teaching them. I've run into this at both the schools where I've been employed full-time. At my previous school, where student evaluations were EVERYTHING, a 1.0 average meant everybody hated you and a 5.0 average mean everybody loved you. My departmental colleagues averaged something like 4.4, while I averaged right at 4.0. I thought that was pretty good until my department chair told me I had no chance at tenure unless I averaged something on the order of 4.2 or better. So, in a typical class of 35, if I pissed off 3 or 4 students and then got an even split of 5s and 4s from everyone else, I was barely hanging onto my job. When it's that way across an institution, is it any wonder that a good chunk of students walk out with fancy diplomas and barely a clue?

7. The Big Ragu

I am not sure what practical value studies like these have.

But, practically a college education is worth what a high school degree was worth when my dad was in his teens. Which is why more people who would have gone through life with a high school degree in his day now go on to get a college degree.

None of this should be so surprising. More people go to college now, as they try to get that high school equivalency bachelor of science.

I just googled it to make certain my theory is correct, and in the 10 years after I entered college in 1987, enrollment in degree-granting institutions increased by 14 percent. Between 1997 and 2007, enrollment increased by 26 percent. The number of 18 to 24 year olds during that time only increased by 16 percent. So it wasn't just population growth. More kids are going to college.

One of two things has happened. Either we have a higher percentage of "college worthy" students today than we did in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, or we are enrolling more students regardless of their worthiness.

I'm guessing it's the latter. And I'm guessing standards in order to graduate them all have gone down, and in the aggregate, it's super easy to do a study today and conclude students overall don't think critically as well as students from previous generations.

Why even bother?

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I don't see much value in discussing someone's "college worthiness." Way back when it was MUCH easier to get into many colleges.

9. LongTimeListener

Following Ragu's college today = high school yesteryear, Pew Research Center releases poll showing a majority of respondents believe college doesn't offer a good value for the money.

http://money.msn.com/family-money/news.aspx?feed=BLOOM&date=20110516&id=13636617&GT1=33009

Also, 58 percent of college presidents say public HS students are less prepared than they were a decade ago.

10. The Big Ragu

Yet. ...

And clearly more people are going to college, so regardless of people's stated perceptions in those polls, their behavior is clearly suggesting people see value in a college degree more than ever. The percentage enrolling is up.

11. LongTimeListener

Yeah, I was wondering about the juxtaposition of those questions. I suppose my own experience can explain the seeming logical disconnect; I believe my degree nearly 20 years ago was a good investment, while at the same time I believe today's college education is not a good value. This is largely due to the increase in costs.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

What I haven't read in any posts thus far is that there is a definite difference between being lazy and being dumb. There is a difference between being smart and motivated and smart and lazy. And if you have kids in college — which in most cases one would tend to believe that the kids were accepted for the simple fact that they are smart — and they aren't motivated, aren't the professors somewhat to blame?

Draft saved Draft deleted