1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Royal Rumble 1999, the "I Quit" match, one of the greatest in my young (25 y.o.) life. Mick was salty that Rock kept peppering him with those chair shots after the handcuffs had been slapped on him. Those shits were unprotected, so his brains certainly had to be scrambled and then some.

2. He may get crapped on a lot for his lack of technical skills, but Foley was unparalleled as a brawler in his era.
    If you haven't, check out his street fight with HHH at Royal Rumble 2000.
    Absolutely brutal, and total greatness.

3. Ah yes, I was at the Garden for that one. Great match.

4. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Brock Lesnar took nasty chair shots. Never used his hands to protect himself (perhaps why his brains were scrambled enough for him to think he'd make it in the NFL).

And that TNA/ECW card looks awesome, but I think Shane Douglas is in even worse physical shape than Raven. And that's saying something. TNA did a show in Philly over the summer called Hardcore War that was that kind of TNA and ECW mix. I think it's on DVD.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And who can forget the botched moonsault at WM against Angle?

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Botched shooting star press, wasn't it? I felt bad for Lesnar because only the people who saw him in Ohio Valley knew he could break that out, and after months upon months of being the big muscular dude, for him to hit a Billy Kidman move when he's never even been on the top rope in WWE/F? And then he missed it. Oh well.

7. Yes, shooting star press. What a sickening sight that was. He didn't remember the rest of the match because of a concussion. Remember the look on his face after that? I don't know how the hell he made it through the rest of that match.

But to see him do that was awesome. And that's the thing. Guys like Lesnar and Lashely have the athletic ability to do stuff like that, but Vince holds guys that big back from doing anything technical/high flying. I mean we never saw Lesnar do any takedowns, armlocks, hip tosses, etc, everything you would see in a Benoit vs. Angle match. Lesnar and Lashley have the ability to actually wrestle because of their amatuer backgrounds, but are/were never allowed to. Very frustrating to watch someone like Lashley sometimes because you know he's capable of so much more.

8. So hard to get behind TNA right now and I really want to. Thursday was just a clusterfuck of a show. About 7 minutes total or wrestling on a hour show. ECW is better than that. But seriously, how the hell do you have a main event of Rhino/Angle vs. Styles/Joe and have it go 6 minutes. I mean, come on. Those are four of their best wrestlers and they have to rush through a match. They need to get Vince Russo the hell out of there. He is ruining that company.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Might've been mentioned elsewhere, but whatever happened to Brock Lesnar after he washed out of the Vikings' camp? You'd figure he'd end up back wrestling somewhere, he was certainly a big enough name. Seems like he's just fallen off the face of the earth though.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

He was wrestling in Japan. There was a big legal dispute over him continuing to use the name "Brock Lesnar," with Vince saying he created Lesnar and the name was copyrighted by the WWE.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Anyone ever watch one of the many Mike Awesome-Masato Tanaka matches from ECW back in the day?

Good GOD. I still cringe thinking about those. And it wasn't like there were just 1-2. They'd each take about five.

Balls Mahoney used to swing a mean-ass chair also. I witnessed that first-hand at an ECW house show back in the late 90s.

12. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Heat Wave '98. Lordy did Tanaka take some stiff shots. Awesome coming down from the top rope...YIKES

Draft saved Draft deleted