1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Oct 27, 2006.

1. aspiring

aspiring Member

WWE pulled the video

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Note to WWE and USA Network: Don't ever have a 3-hour show again. Longer matches on a 2-hour show will suffice. Cryme Tyme and "Bush" was only good for those needing a bathroom break.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

"Bush" was terrible. But the worst part was the 6-man tag main event we were fed.

4. Claws for Concern

I'll tell you what's worse: K-Fed vs. Cena on 1/1/07 Raw. I imagine that Umaga will come in to interfere and do all the work since they have a PPV to promote and Cena-Umaga feud to hype.

The battle royal last night would have been better if they'd had guys from all brands in there instead of Edge having to wrestle three times.

5. KYSportsWriter

That's one other thing I didn't understand. HHH, HBK, Cena, Edge and Orton all had to wrestle at least twice last night. Edge wrestling three times in one night was just insane. I wonder how long it'll take him to recuperate?

6. Claws for Concern

Actually, I think the WWE wrestlers are off now until Dec. 26 so they have plenty of time to rest after a brutal run of matches. On one hand, though, it does show that Edge is a true main eventer in their eyes. I hope.

7. KYSportsWriter

Yeah, they're airing the Iraq stuff Friday and Monday. But still, no one should have to wrestle three times in one night. Especially Edge.

8. Claws for Concern

With all of the tag teams reforming like the Hardys, MNM, WGTT, DX, etc. it would be great to have Edge and Christian together again. Too bad that can't happen.

9. The chair shots are one of the few things that are real and hurt. I remember Meltzer writing a couple of years back he wish more guys who put their hands up to take the brunt of the chair shots instead of taking them full on because they can do so much damage. Remember the Mankind, Rock I Quit match. Foley was tied up, both hand behind his back and Rock smashed Foley over the head with three or four chair shots. Just brutal stuff. I think Foley said in his first book he told Rock to do it and he hesitated, but you know Foley. He's done insane spots his whole career.

10. It's nice to see at first, but it just goes to show the problem WWE faces. They try to go back to things that worked long ago and hope they will work again, but it's not the same. The DX has grown old already. The WGTT is just thrown back together with no buildup or reason (Remember Team Angle?) Hardys get over because they are popular and MNM . . . well the only good thing about them is Melina. God, she is hot!

11. Claws for Concern

Just saw a blurb in the newspaper about a show coming to my parents' hometown in mid-January. Among the highlights (or lowlight once you hear the top attraction) is an appearance/wrestling match featuring Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart. Of course, this same group once advertised Bret Hart appearing and that was never going to happen in this town. Neidhart? I tend to believe he actually does need the money. Among the others promoted for the show is Christopher Daniels. That guarantees one great match.

12. Foley talked about this in his book.
    Rock was to hit him once 2-3 times with stiff chair shots, but for some reason, he kept on laying them in. Foley's family was ringside and traumatized.
    Rock never gave a real explanation why he did it, and I think there was still some genuine heat between the two over it. Totally unlike Rock to take liberties in the ring with anyone.
    Great match, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted