1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Oct 27, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Queens Elks Lodge, an ECW mainstay back in the day, in NYC would go nuts for it, too.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Theoretical card off the top of my head:

World title match: Samoa Joe d. Abyss (c)
    X Division title match: Christopher Daniels (c) d. A.J. Styles and Kid Kash, Ultimate X match
    Tag team title match: RVD/Sabu d. LAX (c)
    Raven d. Rhino (or vice versa)
    Paparazzis d. Sonjay Dutt/Jay Lethal
    911 random chokeslam
    Spur-of-moment matches with Team 3-D, Shane Douglas (can he work at all anymore?), Serotonin, etc ...
    Monumental worked shoot promo by Heyman

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'd rather let Heyman shoot on WWE. Paul could cut a deliciously wicked promo on Stephanie McMahon, for whom he has a great deal of disdain.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Anyone buying the WWE PPV on Sunday? Smackdown's turn for a PPV figures to have more actual wrestling and, except for The Miz vs. Boogeyman match, should be OK. Whether or not you actually want to give Vinny Mac your money in this, the fifth wrestling PPV in as many Sundays (including two TNA PPVs) is your decision.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Joey Mercury got fucked up tonight.

[​IMG]

http://www.wwe.com/shows/armageddon/exclusives/38575801

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And according to Meltzer, they delayed breaking up MNM and the Hardyz again because both teams were doing well. And this just weeks after Mercury came back from extensive drug rehab. A shame.

7. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

RVD screwed himself over by getting busted for drugs on the road between shows. I know that area is allegedly a speed trap and whatnot, but if you have a reputation that isn't squeaky clean and the company finally shows enough faith in you to make you a double world champion, you have to be an f'n moron to blow that. I don't blame them for losing faith in the guy.

It's a damn shame, too. I was at the Invasion pay per view, and while just about every WCW/ECW guy on the card got a "ho-hum" reaction when they came out, there was a palpable buzz for RVD. That was the first time I'd seen him live, and I hadn't seen much ECW, so I didn't know a whole lot about him. But when he walked out for his match with Jeff Hardy, you could feel the whole building wake up. He had a main event aura right away. Hard to describe, but definitely awesome.

8. Here's the footage. (WARNING: Graphic and bloody)

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Here's his face now ... linked, not posted in case someone doesn't want to see:

http://www.wwe.com/content/media/images/309846/1692656/3749300/joey.jpg

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Pro Wrestling's scripted, but injuries these guys get and the super-high health insurance costs tell me otherwise.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

OK. The Raw ending sucked monkey balls. I just couldn't get enough of good ol' JR screaming "HE CAN'T DEFEND HIMSELF!"

And nice acting by Trips and HBK tonight. Trips gets hit on the shoulder with the chair and his head is bleeding? WTF? He then goes for the sledge hammer and doesn't even reach down for it, seemingly waiting for Edge to do the baseball slide into him. Again I ask, WTF?

Then we cut to HBK gyrating in the middle of the fucking ring. Um, HBK NEVER EVEN TOUCHED THE CHAIR ON THE RKO. Jeez, people. I know it's fake, but it doesn't have to be so obvious.

12. aspiring

aspiring Member

I know this is faked, But those chair shots have GOT to hurt. This is playing up the event at the next PPV, I understand, but there is no way some of those shots didn't do real damage. I hope things weren't getting out of hand. I have been told by good authority that the guys don't come out to stop things like they did tonight, unless things are out of control. I enjoy the man-soap opera that wrestling is, but you tell me. If a guy hit you moe than what you were expecting, would you get a little pissed and lose it? I sure as hell would.

Draft saved Draft deleted