1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Oct 27, 2006.

1. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Bischoff was the GM for the Raw Roulette in Vegas. If memory serves me right, it was in October 2002.

2. FightScribe

FightScribe Member

OK, my first post on the board and, fittingly, it's on a wrestling thread. Excellent.

Like most everyone else, I enjoyed RAW. Finally, there's some fresh blood in the main event scene, with Jeff Hardy. I'm not delusional enough to think Hardy has a shot at main eventing at WrestleMania, but hopefully the buyrates are strong for the Rumble and the fans continue to be vocal with their support of Hardy and he sticks around the upper card for a while.
    I'm also interested to see where they're going with Regal. The guy needs to be in the ring and I'm hoping this is the first step in a feud with HHH. Those two could tear the house down. Regal is very underrated and, with the Benoit tragedy, he no longer has that "go-to opponent," where you know you can stick Regal in there with him and it'd be a great match. He might have that with HHH.

I just finished watching ECW and, I have to say, it's starting to grow on me. Don't get me wrong, I think it's sacrilege to call that show ECW because it bears no resemblence to the original. But, finally WWE is doing what it should've been doing all along -- taking its younger and/or underutilized talent, and putting them on ECW. Shelton Benjamin and Chavo Guerrero give CM Punk some legit challengers. I'm praying that there's a 3-way ladder match between those three at WrestleMania.
    And, I can't believe I'm saying this, but The Miz is starting to develop into a decent wrestler. I love the tag team of Miz and Morrison. I hope they're kept together for at least a full year and they elevate the tag titles. Their matches vs. Shannon Moore and Jimmy Yang (Wang) have already elevated all four of those guys.
    I'd love to see Jamie Noble, Paul London, Brian Kendrick and a few others get moved over to ECW and turn that show into a brand that features great in-ring action.

Looking forward to SmackDown! tomorrow night. I'm hoping for Edge vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania for the title. They could build up both guys being undefeated in WrestleManias and I think those two would put on a helluva match. A Hell in the Cell, perhaps, since that's the match Edge returned in to screw 'Taker vs. Batista?

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

So YOU were the one who watched ECW this week...

4. FightScribe

FightScribe Member

Sometimes, it does indeed feel like I'm the only one watching ECW. Trust me, I've only recently begun watching again. It had been dreadful for so long. But with WWE sending Shelton Benjamin, Chavo Guerrero and with Punk as champ, I've begun to watch again and I've found it to be more entertaining than TNA's Impact!

5. Jar of Flies

Jar of Flies Member

"Saved by the Bell" + Early 1990s WWF

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Edge vs. Undertaker is the only lock for WrestleMania thus far. Unless there's a sudden change of plans or an injury, it's going to happen. They are building up Edge right now by giving him the strap with a Royal Rumble match against Rey Mysterio, which he will win. I don't think the match even needs a Hell in the Cell gimmick, not with Undertaker's WrestleMania streak on the line and the freshness of the feud. Those two are great ring performers, especially Undertaker who had an incredible match at last year's WrestleMania against Batista. Edge is definitely better than Batista in the ring, so I'd count on the two having a very strong match.

As for ECW...I've been a fan Jimmy Wang Yang since the Jung Dragon days. He's a talented and fun in-ring performer with charisma. Bring Jamie Noble to ECW and reform the Dragons! ECW has gotten better in the last few months, but the amount of squash matches on the show really hurts the quality. For a one hour program, the show should be trying to build up some quality characters while having two or three exciting wrestling matches instead of filling the card with Big Daddy V vs. Jobber #1 and Shelton Benjamin vs. Jobber #2.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Any sign ideas for Raw?

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A shout out to SportsJournalists.com? :D

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I don't think that's saying much...

10. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

C-SPAN2 is more entertaining than TNA right now.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

The Weather Channel might have hotter Divas, too :D

12. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Is it sad that I now judge divas 85 percent on wrestling skills, 15 percent on looks?

Draft saved Draft deleted